Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cedar Key, Saturday


The largest flock of white pelicans I have ever seen. You will have to wait a few days for more, including a video. I am only up Tuesday's Tale.  It is Sunday, 9:40 am.  I am going to finish the coffee, wait for the tie to go out, check out, and enjoy the last day of my vacation.

Thursday, 7:30 PM.   I am ready to update this 9th day of my vacation.
On the water at 9:50, Saturday

As on Friday, too choppy for a comfortable trip on the Gulf, so I headed for the Number 2 Channel

Black skimmers, brown pelicans, and more on the sandbar at the Channel entrance

I guy in a clam boat slowed down as I took the above pic. "Did you get it?"  I think he was talking to me. Could have been the heron.
 The wreck was higher in the water than on Friday


Lower tide means more space for birds like oyster catchers

Snowy egrets



 White pelicans in flight









 Under the Number 3 Bridge


Today, I paddled under the wheeling flights of black skimmers to the white pelicans






Has to be the largest flock I have ever seen. Had to take one picture
A second
and, a third
Just to get all the huge birds on one oyster bar.  And there were still more
 A lot of white pelicans







 Cormorant, a decent sized bird, is dwarfed by the white pelicans


 Headed back




Always good to know when the tide is coming in.
Took a break at Cemetery Point.








I had been in a spot where black crowned night herons hang out.  The flighty fowl flew away.  I paddled to where they headed.  Only the prow of the wreck above the waterline, I could paddle into the shallows.


 Black crowned night herons were where I  thought they had gone to.  But kept flying away
The roseate spoonbills were more cooperative.
Finally got a night heron to stop for a moment


Landed just before 2.  Had lunch, posted more pics from Sweetwater Cabin.  Then, a bit past 4, a bike ride











Where to look for egrets?
But of course.
Did your middle school have canoes?  Me, neither.





You know you are in a small town when


I picked up a 12 pack well before midnight.   Needed to wash down the spicy chili I had for dinner.  No sunset walk tonight.  Too cloudy and foggy. Rained overnight.  Another perfect day

No comments: