Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, February 22, 2013

Sweetwater Cabin, Alexander Creek




Another day, another set of adventures at the Sweetwater Cabin.

Always have to start the day to see if Bob is in the Spring.


It took me until today to discover the trails behind the septic field.







The cabin is on the edge of the Wilderness


Which explains the wildlife at the cabin


 deer movie  The noise is squirrels.
After breakfast, I composed Tuesday’s Yak Tale for a few minutes before heading to the Spring

Monica had seen Bob eat his breakfast. Raccoon. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200657300700394  She took the video.  If I can figure a way to add a non-facebook link, I will.



I think the hawk thought Bob stole his meal.  But, Harry Hawk thinks all food is his.  My sister had her chicken bones snatched by the hawk, Tuesday.
With our Spring occupied, we went to Salt Springs.  Would have gone anyway.  I hope to snorkel all 4 of the public access National Forest Springs during this vacation.  Did Juniper on Friday.




Had it to ourselves








Saw just one blue crab. Still, pretty neat if you ask me


Mermonica











One of the advertisers on the back of a map of Salt Springs was a local yoga joint. The Amrit Yoga Institute. An ashram, my sister tells me.  She is a yoga instructor.  Contact her at yogakeywest.org next time you are in the Conch Republic.  Any way, she wanted to check the Institute out, and nice guy I am, we stopped by.




Nice property on Lake Kerr. Monica made arrangements to come for a class later in the day. I was invited, but declined, saying, in the spirit of the Forest, when it comes to yoga, I’m Boo-Boo.

Back to the cabin for lunch, then to Alexander Springs. And Creek for me. Took two cars, as Monica had a 6 PM yoga class.  I saw an otter as I launched at 2:30.  Pointed it out to my sister as it swam out of the swim area.  Later it came back, or perhaps another otter came into the Spring.  Monica told me it swam within 3 feet of her.



I headed down the Creek







Asked a guy who was coming up from the bridge if he saw any bald eagles. “No”


He must have just missed it.











Went around an island down stream of the 445 bridge and began the return paddle.





Eagle was still there





 Wood duck takes flight









What been a shorts and t-shirt day was turning cool.

35 37 38 39



Landed just past 5 after waiting for the canoers to land and paddle boarders to clear the landing
Into the Spring



No otter for me.










A few days ago, Monica and I had a conversation about coontie.  I said I knew there was information about it on the Timucan Trail at Alexander Springs.

  Before the internet, this is how I educated myself about Florida
Left the Spring at quarter to six.  Got back to the road to the cabin at the same time Monica was returning from Bubba's Yoga.  Which is not the real name.  But, good ol'boy  North Central Florida is the last place I would expect an ashram.
Brats on the grill for dinner. And chili for me.  Plus sweet potatoes with garlic, ala Monica.

3 comments:

Brenda M said...

Great underwater shots!

Chris said...

Looks like a great time. I wish I was there to join you

Dave said...

It was great. I hope to go again next year. I can increase the odds of getting it again by having family members enter the lottery to get a week. Even if they can't go.