Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Rock Springs Run

This is a great time of year to be living in Florida. It has finally cooled down, "cool' meaning mid to high seventies, with 50 % humidity.  Snowbirds have not arrived, and natives think it is too cool to be on the water.  Even a popular State Park, Wekiwa Springs, was relatively uncrowded for a Saturday afternoon when I arrived after working in the morning.  Above pic, returning to the Wekiva River after kayaking up Rock Springs Run. Below, turtles in the lagoon just off the launch, 12:38 PM

Three canoes were pushing off as I did.  Got ahead of them, and a couple more, as I paddled down the Wekiva.
 Birds, like this tri colored heron, are used to traffic on this busy part of the Wekiva.  But, as stated above, not too busy-or as busy as it is in the summer.
Lolling in the duck weed on my left.  This may be the gator Joanne B. calls "Pigpen"

On Rock Springs Run.  Had to pass about 10 canoes, kayaks and paddleboards, but cleared them before the old sandbar






Eight or so paddlers came down the Run, last pair before Big Buck.  The campsite, not a male deer.

Elusive belted kingfisher

I was not going to take any scenic, that is, no animals in the frame, shots, until I turned around.  But, sometimes, a view begs to be savored and saved.

Turned around at 4;19

















Wee gator




 Two deer, here.  A ways to go to match the 11 I saw Wednesday afternoon

 Red shouldered hawk







The only people I saw on the way down Run were campers at the Otter site.   Saw one more deer.  A buck. 4 pointer.



I like how the neck is bent





Back to the Wekiva.



St. Yakdave.








Landed at 6:30.
Pause while carting the yak up the hill to take a pic of the Springs.
 A slow drive to Sand Lake, looking for deer.  Got, out, took a short walk.  Only deer, the one on the Apopka Sportsman Club monument.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Always my favorite place to paddle.

Luis said...

Posts like this one are the reason I am kayaking these days. Very nice Master Dave!!!!!