Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Terra Ceia State Preserve, Bishop Harbor

 Headed to Sarasota Friday after work, I looked for a place on the way to drop the kayak for short paddle. Came across Terra Ceia State Preserve, at the south end of Tampa Bay. Just a few miles west of I-75 on Moccasin Wallow Road.  Perfect.
On the water at 7:00 PM

 
Low tide, so could not get very close to the mangrove islands in Bishop Harbor









 Spoonbill


Snowy egret






I want to be here when the sun is setting between the towers of the Sunshine Skyway


 










 
 
 
Landed at 8:10.  Although just a few miles from the Interstate, you know you are in a remote area when a railroad crossing has no gate or lights.  Just an X.   I took U.S. 41, not I-75 to my lodgings on the north end of Sarasota


At the Ramada Inn, but privately owned.  Found it on VRBO.


At a marina on Sarasota Bay.  Good base for the weekend.

No comments: