Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Ding Darling

Sunday, December 21, 2008. I went back to the Ding Darling National Refuge. As I paid the $5.00 entry fee I asked the attendant where the first launch area was. Maps of the Refuge show two launch spots, one just past the entrance, the other just past the 2.5 mile point on Wildlife Drive. I have always launched at the second, and wondered how I always miss the first. Blame Charlie. The 2004 hurricane that devastated much of Sanibel knocked the sign down at the first launch and it has never been replaced. The attendant said the launch area is rocky, so they encourage folks to launch at the second, which is marked with a small sign. I slowly drove to the launch past a lot of photographers with long lenses. A few had there heads covered with fine mesh netting. No see um protection. I applied bug spray after unloading the kayak. One other car was parked on the side of the Drive, trailer attached, kayak still on. The owner had two kayaks. He paddled to the launch, saw me, and asked, "Is my trunk closed ?" I assured him it was. I then pushed of just past 8 am.






I paddled west, first through a narrow channel, leading to a small bay. Last Sunday I was here at low tide, and had to circle around where birds fed in the flats. Today, I went right up the middle, and out a small channel to Hard Working Bayou. Then west northwest in Pine Island Sound, behind a chain of small islands, Wulfert Keys. I decided to see if I could make it to Captiva Island and Buck Key.














I did not see many birds as I paddled the open waters of the Sound at high tide, these cormorants an exception. This Great Calusa Blueway Trail marker







told me a channel crossing lay ahead. I paddled a ways, saw red and green day marks, and boats in the channel. Looking at my map, it had to be the channel leading to Blind Pass, the dividing line between Sanibel and Captiva Islands. Blind Pas has been a misnomer for years, filled with silt. Hurricane Charlie in August 2004 made things even worse. A project is under way to make the Pass passable once again. I could see a dredge in the distance, and hear cars on the bridge. I could not get close enough to see the Pass, as the water became to shallow. Maybe that's why it is called Blind Pass- you don't see it until it is almost right in front of you.






Shallow water equals birds. Cormorant, brown pelican and reddish egret share an oyster bed, ibises the dead branches in the background.





Here's a closer shot of a reddish egret.






I mentioned above I was paddling to Captiva and Buck Key. Captiva is a fancy shmancy rich folks place, Buck Key, just to the east, is mostly part of the Wildlife Refuge. Refuge maps and information indicates a paddling trail through the Key. I was unable to find any markers, and I did go into a couple of gaps through the mangroves.













Snowy egret and ibis.





I began to paddle back the way I came. Not the same way, now I kept closer to the Sabibel shore. Which on the Sound side is not sandy beach, but mangrove forest. Suddenly, something splashed to my right, large oval circles moving just below the surface. A manatee's wake. I paused, waited for it to surface. It did not as I was watching. It was the first manatee I have ever (almost) seen at Sanibel. Maybe it was the same one my nephew Arlo saw Saturday morning at the fishing pier.







I arrived back where I began and took a break. Fueled by a sandwich with nephew Derek's jalapeno crusted salmon, I got back in the yak. Paddled east in a narrow mangrove channel next to Wildlife Drive. I saw a flash of color on my left. Rosette spoonbills roosting.













I moved up the side channel for a closer view.




























Getting close to the spoonbills made me think how they were almost wiped out for ladies hats in the late 19th century. Plume hunters had easy pickings.








I left the spoonbill rookery, back to the channel along the drive and in two minutes, more spoonbills.






This flock was conveniently located across from a wooden overlook on Wildlife Drive. A nice view, but mine was better.








Enough with the spoonbills, here's a yellow crowned night heron














A snowy egret.















Wildlife Drive sits atop a dike. Water flow is controlled through openings ideal condition for migratory waterfowl. White pelicans, for instance.








No paddling or other activity is allowed on the side where the pelicans preened. On my Sunday December 14 paddle, water was rushing through the openings, out going tide. This trip, a father fishing with his sons at the next opening said. "Look at your line, its not moving. That means it is high tide"












Back to spoonbill alley.









Tri colored and blue heron








I paddled out from the narrow trail I was in to an open area where I saw a large flocks of white pelicans last Sunday. No pelicans. An osprey in a tree. I took a picture, not Yak Tales worthy. Another osprey called from across the bay. Then a second sound higher and longer than an osprey call. A hawk. Wrong. Bald eagle. Two. Soaring higher and higher. Nice way to end the day. I landed shortly thereafter, a five hour day. The car and trailer that were present when I launched were still present.I had seen him fishing. Must have been biting. Or not.


Another fine day paddling. I went back to the condo cleaned up a bit, packed, walked the beach, then headed home. It is 9:30 pm Tuesday as finish this tale. I work 8-12 tomorrow,and hope to be launching here



at 4:00 pm. Back to Sanibel through Saturday.

I'll try to post a photo or two Saturday night.

Merry Christmas !

No comments: