Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, February 12, 2024

Coupon Bight Aquatic Preserve

/>
Made a stop at the Kendall Hospital to visit a family member before heading to the Keys on Friday the 9th
Canal banks are a bit steep, but in a pinch...
I was back on the road at 12:20. Traffic was heavy. Miami peope taking Friday afternoon off and heading to the Keys.
I put the kayak in the water off Long Beach Road, on the northeast end of Big Pine Key. It was 3:20
Cormorants, ibis, and blue herons
ntent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjUtzVfY3wgP2mfBCDYqdI_hb4gwpNA1Ip65iFNTSxD9Ei_9rcS2rXCIjPgHG9NCwDZU2gf53N4-X9GsL2imZqbZbXXBwfmbLVd6cudJ6jA5suNTX9_PfQq5mzQAvls-922oXBOAyICuwkW2CvXKVPwuKUt_YsTvXlEAh-DrKNngcm_Co9b9ZC9g6lL_dq8/s4608/IMG_2205.JPG" style="display: block; padding: 1em 0; text-align: center; ">
Hoped to see some Key Deer. I did not.
Landed at 5:51.
The "No to Everything" sign was not there when I first launched a kayak, from the end of Long Beach Road in September, 2009. First time I saw Key deer. The launch was a bit dicey, "The tide had gone out, more of the shore exposed. I sank to my thighs, slogging to shore. Covered with mud, I reached firm ground. The wrong firm ground. My launch point was about 15 yards south of where I landed. The mangroves were to thick to get through. So back in the ooze. To the launch point. Through more muck, not as deep. Now I was glad for the rain, as it cleaned things up, a little. Good thing I had plenty of water and lots of dry clothes."

No comments: