Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 4, 2024

Rock Springs Run

1998 Even on an overcast winter day, there is a line to get into Kelly Park. Nothing like the mile plus long line on summer weekends.
I was car 4. Still just 4 cars when the Park opened. I could have stopped to get a picture of the bald eagle on a pole on Park Avenue in Apopka. I also had to stop on 441. To let a peacock cross the road. I did not there were peacocks in Apopka.
Got my parking pass, drove over to Camp Joy, made the fairly long portage from car to Run. On the water at 8:23.
Paddling up Rock Springs Run. No one had passed me, going to Kings Landing, as I waited for Kelly Park to open, so chances were good I was the first person on the water. Only camoers were at Camp Joy.
Third Landing.
At the end of what can be kayaked. I was the first one to get there.
As I drifted downstream, people began paddling up. 11 vessels. Including a tour group in those stuipd, floating bathtubs. Paddles banging on the gunnels.
1997

No comments: