Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha

And the canal connecting them, above. Tuesday, January 19, 2009, I got a prework paddle in on the Maitland half of the Winter Park Chain of Lakes. I thought of paddling the Winter Park portion, but slept in a bit and was not on the water until 8:40. I like the Maitland half better, less traffic, more wildlife. At least for me.












Two vehicles with boat trailers were in the Fort Maitland parking lot when I left. Two kayakers were in Lake Maitland, along with anhingas, belted kingfishers and great egrets.


Another egret, in the canal.
On to Lake Minnehaha, tri colored heron, moorhen and coots.





I circled the Lake, counterclockwise. An unconfirmed otter sighting. Something dark briefly popped up. I waited for it to resurface, for a better look, but it never did. Great blue heron, vultures, and wood duck.








More boats were out than usual on a weekday morning. One. A flock of robins tweeted in moss draped cypresses. A crow challaanged an eagle, the latter retreated. No pic of either. Anhingas are plentiful on this paddle.
Out of Lake Minnehaha
Lake Nina is a bulge in the canal, but has wildlife.
Nice day for a paddle, back in Lake Maitland, approaching Dog Island.
On to the Isle of Sicily
Back to Fort Maitland Park. I saw just two boats on the Lake. Along with a blue heron, more anhingas, and great egret.











Great blue heron shows an anhinga the old high step.





I landed at 11, a nice 2.5 hour paddle before heading to work at 12:30.

No comments: