Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Haulover Canal

Put the kayak in at Haulover Canal after work today.   Did a half day Tuesday, then headed to Crystal River, as you recall.  If you don't go read the prior Tale.
As I entered the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, over the Max Brewer Bridge, before making the turn to Black Point Wildlife Drive, a bald eagle on a power pole along the road.  My camera was in my backpack, in the back seat.  I thought of pulling over, but its a 55 mph, no shoulder road.  Lots of grass, though.  I did not.  To  my regret, as no one came behind me from there until after I made the turn.
Into the Indian River, course set for Mullet Head Island, 1:10.

Great blue herons on the way.

Cormorants, mostly, with another great blue on a sand bar that extends off Mullet Head Island.  As always, I went to my right to circle the Island.   There was a large flock of white pelicans just beyond the cormorants.  That was left.  Thought of changing my pattern, but stuck with the tried and true.

Same osprey, different signs.




Can't get too close to the spoonbills on the refuge Island. If they'd only pose on the signs like the osprey.







Little birds on the wrack line.
 BIG birds, white pelicans, behind the wrack line.




 Brown pelican and royal terns




 Back to the sand bar where I came in.
 Return to the Canal area.  Went into the first dead end canal south of the Canal.  Nothing to exciting this trip.

Headed back to the secondary canal, to avoid some of the many fishing boats in Haulover.


Blue and great blue in "Dolphin Cove" No dolphins.


Into Bairs Cove.  Would there be manatees?   It has been warm for the last week or so, perhaps some would be present.  I had to wait, then one, two, three manatees.




Dining on floating sea grass




I left the Cove, and paddled, against a light wind, to the Mosquito Lagoon end of the Canal.



Not only was the Canal filled with boats, but both banks were lined with anglers.  A beautiful day, and the redfish have been biting lately.
I exited the Canal before the end, then came back in through another gap before entering Mosquito Lagoon.  Paddled north, past two islands, than back into the shallow, sheltered area between  the Lagoon and the "mainland"
 Belted kingfisher in flight



 Snowy egret
 This is what I call a busy day in Haulover Canal.  Out of the Canal, you can paddle for hours and see very few boats.



A crowd of people at the Manatee Overlook both times I passed, no manatees.  A smaller group, I would have told them about Bairs Cove.  Where I did not see any manatees on my return visit.  At first.   Then, right beside me.   Dove, rocking the kayak. Did not see it, or any others.


 This guy is more than a hundred yards off shore.  Gives an idea how shallow it can be.

 Vehicle Assembly Building
I landed at 4:45.   That the Day Away Tour van.  A tour launched as I came by the first time, so I stayed out, hoping to spot a dolphin.  No luck.
After getting the kayak on the car,  I figured I'd have time for a visit to Blackpoint Wildlife Drive.
 Blue winged teal
 Glossy ibis
I was just shooting from inside the car, until I saw this reddish egret.
 I wish I had a better photo of the above birds.  Not the coots.  The others. Avocets.  I thought black necked stilts, until told by Mark H.
A friend of my sister, Monica, up from Key West.  A pleasant surprise to see him.  A much better photographer than I.
And, as Vice President of the Key West Audubon Society, I'll go with his ID of the avocets.

I had to use the super vivid setting for this drake.  Although it looks more colorful then the typical mallard, even without "supervivid".    I really should subscribe to Bird Watching magazine.  My high school biology partner is the editor. Chuck H. paid more attention in class than I.


The nice day, nearing sunset, and Space Coast Birding and Wildlife Festival  made for a lot of people on the drive.  But, the out of towners must not know about stopping at the Wild Birds Unlimited parking area and trail.  Where I got the last 3 pics, and the evenings first sunset photo.
More sunset photos from Black Point Wildlife Drive.









Sunset over the Indian River.   Pulled over just before crossing the bridge into Titusville.   One for the photo, and 2, to ask the guy who had been in front of me since we left Blackpoint, who also turned off the road for the view, if  he had seen the huge bird that swooped in front of my car.  Probably a vulture, but it was near where I saw the bald eagle on the way in.  He had not.



1 comment:

Luis said...

Those sunset pics are incredible!!!!