Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Cedar Key Sunday

Got up and out for the sunrise this morning.
 Not from the kayak.  From a bench on the seawall.  Maybe I should stand up.
That's better
 Moved to the floating dock at the old boat ramp for a different perspective
 

 

 
Another vantage point
 

 
Went back to bed, but not to sleep.  Less than an hour later, back outside for a walk.
 

 
 

 

 

 
 Cedar Key skyscraper
 

 
 Tabby display.  The oyster shell based material used to build some of the early buildings in Cedar Key.

 
 

 

 

 

I was trying to concentrate on doors

 

 
 Purple plants at the Park Place picnic area
My door. Kind of bland.
 Balcony knicknaks
 

Above 80 at 8:30.  Breakfast was inside.
 Checked out at 11. On the water at 11:24
 

 
Dolphin off Dog Island

 
There were about 5 of them.

 
 
 
This appears to be new lease site. For clam farming.  Or, I was farther out than I thought.  Just after I took the picture, a manatee surfaced.  Just once.  Giving me the Florida Trifecta for the weekend.  Alligator, dolphin, manatee.

 

Shell mound on the unnamed key (as far as I know) south of Scale Key
 

It was very land. I was ready to land. But, it was low tide.  So, instead of landing and having to drag or carry the kayak a long way, I kept paddling.
 Wreck in the Number 2 Channel high and dry
 
Oyster reef I paddle over at high tide in search of roosting spoonbills.
Low tide means wading, not roosting.
 Exception that proves the rule
 
 
 

 
 
See the pink dot? Spoonbill in flight

I knew I'd find spoonbills
 

 
 

 
 

 

 
 

 
 

 

 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 Landed at Cemetery Point.  Figured eating lunch would give more time for the tide to come in
Just a sample of the hundreds of fiddler crabs.
 The Point
 The Cemetery
 
 Boat graveyard
 

 
 Back in the yak
 Fiddler crabs
 

 

 

 



 

 

 
 

 
Landed at 4:10.   The tide was in.
 Ready to leave. Well, not ready, but I don't get paid for kayaking and sharing these Tales.  I will not reject donations.



I'll be back.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: