Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lakes Maitland, Osceola, and Nina

I was thinking of going to Wekiwa Springs State Park this morning, Thursday, September 1, 2011.  Woke up just after 7, but was tired, so I stayed in bed.   Have to save myself  for the upcoming 4 day weekend. Yes, 4.  Once again, I will be celebrating my on holiday, National Kayaking Day, Tuesday after Labor Day.  This morning, I eventually rousted my self and launched from Fort Maitland Park into Lake Maitland at 8:20. I launched myself a minute or two earlier.  My feet shot out from under me as I walked down the bank. Fell hard on my butt.


Instead of my usual paddle into Lake Minnehaha, I paddled north, towards the Winter Park half of Lake Maitland.







The birds in the 5 pics above, blue heron, great blue heron, great egret, snowy egret, ibis, and mallard, were all in front of the same house.

 Tri colored was a bit further down.

Cormorants and anhinga on the Maitland/Winter Park border.



Whoever did this should be should be shot.
Wait, I'm against the death penalty.  Instead, replace the vandals hands with scrubbing brushes and have them clean this and the rest of my fair city for the rest of their lives.

Into the Venetian Canal.





Into, and across, Lake Oseola to the Albin Polasek Sculpture Gardens.




The Fern Canal, leading to Lake Virginia, is just east of the Polasek.  But a motor boat entered it, and not wanting to breathe fumes, I headed back.



 A power boat entered the canal before me.  I had to go very, very slow to avoid its fumes.  They get trapped in the overhanging foliage.

Observant, and frequent, readers may have noticed the green kayak.  Not my usual red Tsunami, or yellow Voyager.  I'm storing, temporarily, a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120, for a friend. Storage fees include use of the kayak.
 Isle of Sicily bridge.

I like the Pungo.  Tracks well, but still turns quickly.  Wide cockpit, leaving my legs exposed, which I don't like.  But, it has a cover that when attached, covers the feet and ankles.  And has a cup holder, indentations for a camera, or whatever, and a mesh pocket.  If I had that on, maybe water would not have come in as I intentionally  paddled into the wake of a ski boat to test how it fared.




 Wood ducks in the Maitland to Minnehaha Canal
 Lake Nina turtles.
 Went to the covered bridge before turning back.

An anhinga trio to close the morning.



Landed at 10:45.
Headed to Ceder Key this weekend. Four days. Just like last year, I have declared Tuesday,"National Kayaking Day"  Weather forecast is getting worse, but I'll muddle through somehow.  Not sure if my lodgings have internet access, stay tuned.

No comments: