Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sanibel Island

I should be on the other side of the Gulf of Mexico.  My Aunt Radi's 80th birthday celebration was last night, in Houston.  I thought of going, catching a 6 pm flight, yesterday, Friday.  I would have got there in time for desert.  But, never booked a flight, and on Monday, when I looked at flights again, to just go Saturday, return Sunday, flights were over $600.  I'm sure a great time was had by all.  Meanwhile, I got an email from LaQuinta, offering 15% off.  I had stayed at the LaQuinta, just east of the Sanibel Causeway, in June, with my brother Pat and his family.  I checked rate on the Island, and the Anchor Inn, when adding the $6.00 bridge toll one time, was only about 8 bucks more.  Checked the forecast.  Light chop today, moderate tomorrow  Chance of rain late in the afternoon.  Which it is now- 4:50 PM, not raining as I type at the Anchor Inn.



 
Sunset from the kayak.

8:40 PM time to shower than go for a late dinner.
Back for next door, the Jacaranda. Had crab stuffed grouper.
For me the best part of the meal was the black bean soup.
Now, back to the start of the day.  Launched from the Sanibel Causeway at 9:38. 





Set a northwest course across San Carlos Bay to Woodrings Point.

At Woodrings Point, San Carlos Bay becomes Pine Island Sound, Pine Island, is across the Sound from Sanibel Island,   Paddle around the Point, enter Tarpon Bay.  Part of the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge.   More boats than I've ever seen in the Bay, 7.   All fishing. Tarpon Bay is a slow, maybe even idle speed, zone.  A large manatee surfaced in front of be after I entered the Bay.   My entry was a bit exciting.  The opening to Tarpon Bay is narrow.  Wind at my back, big waves pushed me into the Bay. May have been an incoming tide, too.
Saw two more manatees,



I hoped to see white pelicans at the mangrove/oyster shell islands in the center of the Bay.



No white pelicans, just brown.  Maybe I'll see white ones today, Sunday.  Time to load the car, check out and go to Ding Darling. See ya tonight.

No white pelicans Sunday.  I'm home,  8:10 PM.  Continuing Saturday's Tale.



Paddled from the the islands to the Commodore Creek entrance.  My entry was delayed to watch a dolphin.



I then quickened my pace to get into the trail ahead of a family coming from the Tarpon Bay Explorers concession.



The trail is a loop through mangroves and a couple of open, shallow areas.



The first, or last part, depending on your perspective, of the trail is shared.  I saw three people coming out as I came in.


 This yellow crowned night heron must be used to people.  Let me got very close.





It took me 50 minutes to paddle the trail. Back in Tarpon Bay, more dolphins. At least 3, maybe 5.





The first photo in the Tale is from this group.   Not  a lucky photo, if I was a better photographer I'd have more with the head out of the water.  One dolphin  assumed that position several times. I captured it once.
 Cattle egrets
 Manatee aka "sea cow"
 Looking across Pine Island Sound at Pine Island.   St. James City



Two weeks ago, I was in Cedar Key, which is full of working fishing boats and blue collar folk who work for a living.  This is the only one I saw on Sanibel.  Perhaps there are more on other parts of the Island.


 The "B" marker is for the Great Calusa Blueway
I landed at 3:20. Would have been 3:15 but I had to try to get a last dolphin photo.  I followed one towardsss the bridge on the east end of the fill island where I parked.  A six hour paddle, with one break for a sandwich.  The Causeway much less crowded than it had been by last visit, on Father's Day.   A spirited dominoes game going on in front of the Yak Dave Mobile.
I put the yak on the roof, and drove to the Anchor Inn.  Checked in, got situated, began this Tale, then went for an exploratory bike ride.
 First, a look around Anchor Inn.  Turtles in a pond,  Behind my room.
 Bikes for guests.  Saw a canoe, not sure what the deal is with that.  Also horse shoes, shuffle board and a pool.



Bike path on Donax Street.  The Anchor Inn is at the corner of Donax and Periwinkle.  I wanted to see how far it is to the Gulf.



Just under a mile.  Too far to wheel the yak.  Explains the low rate at the Anchor Inn. $73.29.
I biked to the graveyard and a nature trail.
 I think the Road Runner put Wile E Coyote on the wrong trail.  The old direction sign spin move.





Back on the bike path, Casa Ybel Road

I needed to find a grocery store.  Get something to pop in the microwave.  "Jerry's" is at Casa Ybel and Periwinkle. In the store I remembered I forgot to bring a full, backup memory card for the camera.   I have one at home.  A clerk got me one, rang it up, $31.  No thank you, I'll just delete pics from the card I have.  Bought a box of Hot Pockets and a bag of Chex Mix.  Tested the Super Vivid setting in anticipation for the sunset on one of the parrots at Jerry's.

Returned to the Inn after a 6.11 mile ride.  Popped a Hot Pocket in the microwave, had a beer, and headed for Bowman's Beach.  At least that was the plan.  Sanibel and  Captiva have an "L" shape.  I was on the bottom line of the L, facing south.  Captiva is the vertical L. West facing.  Bowman's Beach is near the corner of the L.  But, since it was late, I just went to the first public beach parking area from the Anchor Inn, Gulfside City Park.  Paid $2.00 for a hour of parking (Lee County must balance its budget on beach parking) and wheeled the yak to the Gulf.
First photo, I'm paddling away from the setting sun, trying to get a pic of a dolphin.
I failed, so I turned around.




Windy and wavy.  At my back.  I took it slow, as I'd be facing those conditions when I turned around.


After the sun went down, it got rougher.  I thought things calmed down after sunset. Not tonight.  I hit one wave wrong and took on a bit of Gulf water.
Here's a last photo, after I landed.
 "I state this to let folks know, paddling at night should not be done in an area you are unfamiliar with."
I wrote that after paddling Haulover Canal, last Wednesday night.  Did not follow my own advice.  I figured the area with no buildings had to be Gulf Side Park.  I landed, walked  to the dune line and saw a path to the parking lot. Back to the yak, put the wheels on.  One fell off.  In the darkness, I could not find the pin the holds the wheel in place.  Luckily, a couple was walking by.  With flashlight.  We found the pin.

Back to the Anchor Inn. You saw my dinner at the Jacaranda.  Next door.  Matazuna's is across the street.  I left the room with thoughts of going to the Lazy Flamingo, getting conch chowder, and a sandwich, or maybe a bucket of clams and oysters, but after walking about three blocks, and not seeing it, I went back to the Jac.   The Lazy Flamingo was one more block. I should have kept going, but I figured I'd have lunch at the LF and catch the Packer game Sunday.   The food was good at the Jacaranda, but pricey. But then everything on Sanibel is.  What got me was $5.50 for a rum and coke. Of which I had two.  Not to mention, the rustic patio area wasn't open, not that I wanted to sit there in the summer.  The inside, table clothes and wine lists, isn't my kind of place.  But, as I said, the black bean soap was great.  The crab stuffed grouper wasn't to shabby.  Nice way to end Saturday on Sanibel.

3 comments:

Luis said...

Spectacular sunset pic!!!!!!!!

John honz said...

Nice weekend!..I can't believe YOU took a BREAK what? on a wimpy 6 hour paddle..nope :)

Dave said...

Yeah, I'm a sissy. A skirt wearing sissy. Took the break on Woodrings Point and put on the spray skirt before venturing across San Carlos Bay.