Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Haulover Canal

Went to Haulover Canal after work today, Wednesday, September 14, 2011.  It had been one year since my last bioluminescence paddle.   As on 9-14-10, I launched at the Bairs Cove ramp.   I should say we.  Co-worker Stephanie joined me.   We set out just before 7:30.



Next two pics by Stephanie


Bairs Cove was full of floating sea grass and foam.  No idea what the foam was from.  Never seen it before.  It was in the Canal, near the Cove, as well.   Did not see, or hear, any manatees in Bairs Cove.  Not a lot of photos, as sunset was at 7:30. 




Well, not a lot of non-sunset over the Indian River photos.

Steph, by me
Me, by Steph
Due to the hour, and impending darkness, I almost did not take us out to Mullet Head Island.  But, the sunset was that way, birds were flying that way, no other boats were out, so, what the heck.  Besides, my partner had never seen the bird sanctuary before.  It was packed, as cormorants, pelicans, white and brown, egrets, herons, ibis and more roosted.  To dark for photos and to make out what some of the birds were.

To dark for me, Steph got this shot of some of the white pelicans.
  Did not notice any roseate spoonbills.  Other than the one the flew overhead as we drove to Bairs Cove. A manatee floated in front of me, then drifted off to the side.

We circled Mullet Head, and when we came around, the sky was full of stars.  I set course back to Haulover Canal.  Which we could  not see.  I've paddled the area enough to find it in the dark, but I admit to being a tad apprehensive until I saw my usual launch area and the mouth of the Canal.  No boats were in the Canal, nor were any cars on the dirt road.  Vehicles whose lights could have acted as beacons.   I state this to let folks know, paddling at night should not be done in an area you are unfamiliar with.  Heard a loud splash in the distance.  Probably a dolphin, or two.

In the Canal, I began to notice a glow around my paddle.   Put my hand in the dark water, and the water turned white as it flowed between my fingers.  Rather, the tiny living organisms, bio, lit up, luminescence, as my hand, or paddle, or kayak disturbed them. 

This was Stephanie's first biolum paddle.  It could have been better if her guide had not taken her out on a night with a full moon.
Moon is on the left.  The other light is street lamp in the Bairs Cove parking lot. On the other hand, since the local outfitter, A Day Away Kayak, does not run biolum tours with a full moon, we were almost the only ones on the water.  One couple in a pontoon boat. We could hear manatees as we paddled past Bairs Cove.
The moon rose after it was dark for a while, so we did have some excellent biolum action before the Moon came over the horizon.  It was high and bright by the time we paddled past the drawbridge and into the area outside the Canal to the north.  .  Where mullet can put on a pyrotechnic display.  A few underwater light streaks, many jumping about.

Paddled to take a glance at Mosquito Lagoon, then headed back.   At the boat ramp, the couple in the pontoon boat were stopped on the ramp.  Their trailer had broke.  Then were going to leave the boat in the water and somehow deal with it the next day.  When we launched, the only other people we saw were coming in.  Their  front bar of their trailer was scraping on the ramp as they pulled out of the water.  That appeared to be where the other couple's trailer was damaged.  Don't know why this would happen.  On weekends, boats launch and land on that ramp constantly.

Our only problem was mosquitoes as we loaded. It is called Mosquito Lagoon for a reason.

3 comments:

Diana Twiss said...

So beautiful! Made my heart swell.

Luis said...

Beat me to the punch Master Dave. I have this one in schedule for Mary and I but we have not had a chance to escape our responsibilities and go to Haulover Canal during night time.

Dave said...

Thank you Diana. And you comment ed before I posted the good photos taken by b paddling partner.

Luis, now you now not to go on a full moon