Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Banana River

So, you thought with the retirement of the Space Shuttle fleet, there would be no more launch views from my kayak.  Here is the sound of the Delta II rocket.
Although the Space Shuttle Fleet is retired and on its way to museums, there are still rocket launches from Cape Canaveral.  When I saw the Gravity Recovery and Interior Laboratory (GRAIL), launch was rescheduled for this, Saturday, September 10, 2011, morning, I figured I could see it from the Banana River.  The launch had two windows, 8:30 and 9:08 am.  I arrived at KARS Park before 7:30.  A police officer said the usual kayak launch site was closed, I'd have to put in at the boat ramp.   I asked if there was a restricted area.  No.  Later, as I paddled past the usual launch site, I saw the reason it is closed.  New grass.  I guess they want it to take root.
Photographers lined up as I launched at 7:40.  A manatee was in the boat basin.  The photographers gave me an idea where the launch would be.  I was not completely sure where :Launch Complex 17 was. There are more than one launch sites on the Cape.


 Lucky for me, 17 is the closest, and most visible launch complex.  I was not sure when I took the above pic, but the Delta rocket is to the right of the twin gantries.
As you know, "KARS" stands for Kennedy Athletic Recreation and Social.  As such, it had the NASA launch broadcast over loudspeakers.  I could hear it as  paddled out into the Banana River.   Past a large group of manatees just outside the channel to the boat basin.
I slowly paddled towards the distant launch towers.


Went on a detour to watch a pod of six dolphins.



They were quite active.  


8:27, almost time for lift off.

8:30 came and went, no launch.   I could still hear the speakers at KARS Park.  Hard to make out what was being said, it was like Lou Gehrig Day.  You know  "Today, ay ay.... I feel, eel,  eel,,,,"   I was able to make out "9 oh 8"   Fine with me, I could get closer to the launch tower.  And watch more dolphins.
A pair of helicopters had me thinking lift off was moments away. Time stamp on the above pic is 9:01.  The time on the opening photo is 9:09.



The climb was, for lack of a better term, rocketing.  First picture taken at 9:01, this one at 9:01.

Not sure if the video was shot just before, or after, the above pic.













The cormorant trio reminded me I was an alligator away from the Florida Trifecta.  I already saw, and photographed, manatees and dolphins.  Saw one dolphin leap out of the water as I paddled back across River.



These dishes are on the other side of the River, facing the opposite direction.  Not sure what, if anything they track.  Birds?





There were plenty as I paddled north along the west side of the Banana River.



I think the wood stork is worth a couple more photos.



 The great blue heron was in the same tree with the wood stork.


 Black necked stilt



 Lesser yellowlegs



 I turned around at 11:00.




 Alligator. With  the earlier manatees and dolphins, I achieved the Florida Trifecta.



 Black crowned night heron





 Very few people on the water. Nothing like a Space Shuttle launch at Haulover Canal.  Once I left the boat ramp area, I was in the No Motor Zone.   Saw six other kayakers all morning.













 The usual kayak launch site
 Not the kayak launch site.

 Manatee in the dock area.

 Landed at 12:51.


 After putting the yak on the car, I went to the dock for a final manatee photo.  Five were in the area.  KARS Park is the perfect spot to watch rocket launches.   To bad this was the last one from Launch Complex 17.  And the last Delta launch from Florida. Future Delta launches will be at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.   There will be launches from the Cape.  Launch Complex 40, which is a few miles to the north.  When I see a launch from there, I'll let you know.




1 comment:

Luis said...

Very nice!!!!!!!! The six dolphins pod was awesome...and the rocket launch too.