Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Fort De Soto



 Trying to catch the sun rise from the room.

 Sunday morning beach walk

 
 Walked south


 

 

 


 


DoubleTree. No microwave in the room. No free breakfast.  I had cold chicken and potato salad for dinner on Saturday. More potato salad for breakfast today.
 Ordered a sub on line from Publix.  Checked out, picked it up, on the way to Fort Desoto.
 On the water at Soldiers Hole at 12:05


 
Snoozing pelican
Juvenile yellow crowned night herons
 




Scaups

 
A wide variety amount of birds in the mangroves and on the water


Great blue heron
Tri colored heron
 
Yellow crowned night heron

 
 

 Ibis
Young blue heron
 Merganser

Cormorant


 


 
 White pelicans across the channel
 I paddled across, to Shell Key, for a closer look.
 


 
Spear fishing


 


 
 Don Cesar reflection

 


 


This may have been the most white pelicans I have ever seen.  Large flocks on both ends of Shell Key


 
 I was thinking of paddling around Shell Key, but would have had to portage at the north end

 



 
 


 


 
 Sunshine Skyway

Shell Key angler
 Lunch stop, back on Mullet Key.  My Publix sub was delicious.  As I write 12 days later I recall it was turkey, swiss, spinach, tomato, spicy mustard, garlic pickles, and bacon.

Loon


 

 


 



Osprey


 


 
 Did not land here

Landed here. 5:30.  The cone was dry when I launched.  Tide. To the Gulf Pier for sunset
 


 

 


 
 Egmont Key Lighthouse
 Guiding freighters in the channel
 
 The clouds and water vapor made it look like the Gulf was on fire

 



 



 

 Wish they were kayaking.
 Leaving Fort DeSoto
 Had to stop.  Lowest I have seen.  Two weeks later, I'm paying $2.09.
 
 

No comments: