Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Manatee Springs to Cedar Key




 Deer on the 7 AM walk to the bathroom. The one below is on my walk to the Spring




Catfish Hotel.  Popular cave diving spot.



Deer along the boardwalk

Suwannee River







Half a dozen manatees in the spring run


 Had my oatmeal and coffee, broke camp, and went for a swim.  Warmed up a little by 10:15













Manatee Springs is not too far from Cedar Key.  I had not been there for a while. Just checked the archives. Since September!
First stop was the Shell Mound Campground.  A Levy County facility that does not take reservations.  I asked the guy in the office if it fills up on Friday afternoons. "Sometimes yes, sometimes no, call first".   I said I will, and if 10 or more sites are available, I will risk the 2.5 hour drive from Orlando.
The Campground is just outside the Shell Mound Unit of the Lower Suwannee River National Wildlife Refuge.  The dock is in the Refuge.
Tide was low, and it was windy,so I did not put the kayak in.


View from the top of the shell mound









At Cedar Key, launched the kayak from City Park at 1:20


Brown pelicans and oyster catchers




Number Channel


Oyster catchers
Yellow crowned night heron
Ibis









Cemetery Point Park overlook










Dolphin behind the oyster bald



Bald eagle as Scale Key




Battery died, did not have a spare. So, I used the limited zoom, Olympus TG-5


Squeezed one more photo out of the Canon























Landed at 4:15


Clam chowder and a Stumpknocker APA from Swamphead Brewery
Mussels diablo




Ending another weekend.


No comments: