Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

St. Johns River, Blue Springs Run

But not Blue Spring.  I saw a Facebook post a few weeks ago that a tree fell into the spring.  Make that another tree, as tree has been in the boil for as long as I have been visiting.  I think it is really closed for social distancing purposes, and the tree is an excuse.
 I first thought about a Haulover Canal paddle, after work today.  But the rain forecast was 60% at 6PM.  50% in New Smyrna Beach, so I headed towards Bethune Beach instead.  100% of rain on Interstate 4.   Hard.  Traffic was crawling.   So, I made the shorter drive to Orange City and the French Ave Ramp at Blue Springs State Park.  No rain, but threatening, lightning and very windy when I got on the St. Johns River at 6:22 PM

 No wind in the shelter of the Spring Run



 As noted above, the spring boil is closed. I checked the Park website, after I got home, and it says the spring boil is closed. No reason given.   I asked on the Spring Hunters Facebook page.  The tree that feel was removed before  Father's Day.  But another fell in.  Dunbasses jumping from them does not help. There are signs up and down the Run saying to keep off the banks to prevent erosion











 Paddling at Mardi Gator Island.  My name for the island across from the boat ramp.  In honor what was, at that time, the biggest alligator I ever saw, on Fat Tuesday, 2006


 The threat of a storm passed.



 Alligator





 A short paddle. Landed at 7:51.

No comments: