Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Lake Virgina

The forecast called for heavy thunderstorms.  I was not about to let that stop me from kayaking after work. Until a large bolt of lightning flashed as I pulled into Dinky Dock Park. Maybe I will go home, eat, hope it passes, than kayak.  Checked Accuweather.  Rain to stop in 13 minutes.  No rain for about an hour.
 

I was on the Lake at 6:41

No rain



That is, no rain, on this side of the Lake. Yet.
Above and below pics were taken from under the Rollins College boathouse.

It let up







I was on Lake Virginia, because I thought, with summer rains, I could go farther up Howell Branch Creek than I have recently

But, the skies were ominous, so I did go all that far before turning around


The rain returned


This may have been the worst storm I have ever kayaked in,  I landed on the shore of Rollins College.  Turned over the kayak, and sought shelter.

This morning, NOAA reported .16 inches of rain fell at Orlando International.  2.8 at Sanford. Had to be at least 2 at Rollins College.
It let up a bit, and I walked across campus to the adjacent Dinky Dock Park
Water gushing from a storm drain
I wonder if this storm drain cover stayed intact.  I did not wait around. 

Got the car, drove to the kayak, and after dumping out a lot of water, put it on the roof and went home.

No comments: