Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Econfina River

 Friday, 6-16-2023.

On the road to Steinhatchee Falls.  Which ended, not at the Falls, but a  locked gate.  CLOSED AT 7 PM.  There goes Plan A.  Which was to put the kayak in up from the falls, paddle up and back.  I was on my way to the Newport Campground in Wakula County. 

Looking for Plan B. A map app showed "Hickory Mound launch site, just off US 98.  I got to it, 7 more miles on a dirt road to an impoundment.  I don't think so.  I think this was past Perry, FL. Where I crossed the Fenholloway River.  Went north for about a mile, looking for a launch site.  None found.

Sunset was fast approaching. And I came to a bridge over the Econfina River.  Not to be confused with Econfina Creek. On the east side of the bridge, a small park.  In Wisconsin, it would be called a Wayside.  A few picnic tables,and a boat ramp.



I have paddled the Econfina River before.  Downstream from here, at Econfina River State Park. That was tidally influenced.

This was deep, lush,canopied stream.







I was probably on the water just 20 minutes.



Picnic tables





I knew I would get to the Newport Campground well after dark.  I also knew that Outzs Too (pronounced Ooots) was on the other side of the bridge spanning the St. Marks River.
I had a shrimp and oyster combo.  Washed down with a Dirty Blonde.  Not the bartender.  A Mill Pond Dirty Blonde Ale from Oyster City Brewing in Apalachicola.

I thought of writing, TRUMP LOST, on a dollar, and taping it to the wall, but I want to return. 

No comments: