Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, November 10, 2023

Blue Spring state park cabin day one


 Headed to Blue Spring


Into the water.



Snorkeling against the flow to Blue Spring

.











Time to head down the Run



Tilapia



Gar



From the dock, I shouted out a thank you to long time manatee researcher, Wayne Hartley.

Long time, as in since 1980.  First as a State Park employee, more recently for the Save the Manatee Club.  I could be wrong, but I think Mr. Hartley developed the system of identifying manatees by their boat strike scars.


On the St Johns at 9:35




After snorkeling in Blue Springs Run, I was surprised to see it was closed to vessels.  I learned that on a cold day earlier in the week, there were over 70 manatees in the Run.   "Kayakers and paddle boarders" would not leave them alone" said a ranger.
 
These tagged manatees were down the St. Johns from Blue Spring
Coot, a sign of fall. Although, it felt like summer. Well, cooler than summer. Only mid 80s



.
















,
I landed at Hontoon Island State Park


Went for a walk




1 comment:

Isola Capri said...

Nice exploration on the spring