Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, July 4, 2008

Blackwater Creek

I kayaked Blackwater Creek this Independence Day, July 4, 2008, launching from the Seminole State Forest. I last did this trip in May, 2005, and have longed to do it ever since. The Forest is not far away, just across the Wekiva River. However, a permit is required to paddle, and I had been unable to obtain one. Until today.



The permit has the combination to a locked gate. The launch site is two miles down a dirt road. An alligator floated on the surface and a hawk screeched as I put in at 7 am. I would have been there earlier, but missed the freeway exit, engrossed in NRR's annual reading of the Declaration of Independence. http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=92108861&m=92236752




I paddled upstream, in search of Moccasin Spring, which I knew was near a campsite. After 15-20 minutes, passing ibis and limpkins, I saw a metal pole. Why is that there ? To mark the campsite.









No one was camping, so I landed, and found the spring, adjacent to the campsite.





The series of posts are the remnants of a logging road, or "tram". I dipped by feet in- to drown the biting ants on my left ankle.


The campsite has a picnic table, fire ring and grill.




More amenities than the primitive sites along the Wekiva and Rock Springs Run, which only have a bench and a fire ring.







I turned around, headed downstream, past the put in.




Blackwater Creek is a beautiful, tree lined water way.





The trees tend to topple, so I was unable to reach the Wekiva, which was my plan. 90 minutes from the launch site, I was forced to retreat. After lunch at the launch, I continued past the campsite, until another tree blocked the way upstream. Back at the campsite, now occupied, I chatted with the campers, asking how far it was from the parking area to the site. 200-300 yards. Not to bad- I think I may be camping here someday. For me, this site is better than the primitive sites on Rock Springs Run and Wekiva. More amenities, I can drive to it, a major plus with my leaky yak, less traffic on the water. I saw ten people all day, none were on the Creek.


I could leave all my food in a cooler in the car, reducing bear worries. If/when I do camp, you'll read about it here.


A few more Blackwater photos.










I was on the Creek, including lunch, for about 5.5 hours. After, I drove on the Forest Roads to the parking area for the Moccasin Springs campsite. I found it. Next step- contact the Division for the next available Saturday.



I finished my visit taking a stroll around Bear Pond. A "borrow pit" which has been stocked and has a nice metal fishing pier.



Another version of this Tale with additional pictures, is on the Green Wave Forum.

http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/trips.asp?op=showtrip&trip=229



No comments: