Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run


Mostly Wekiva. I went to Wekiwa Springs State Park today, Sunday July 13, 2008. It was free admission day for all Florida State Parks, something that almost caused me to pick a non-State Park paddle. But, I needed to update my annual pass, so of I went. Besides, I had not paddled the Wekiva from the State Park since April.

I was in the water shortly before 9, which got me out before the rental concession opened. I had the River to myself. Perhaps this otter knew the light traffic would not last.








So it was ok having one boat follow it, taking pictures. The otter got tired of me, so I continued on. Passed the Wekiva Marina at 9:30, just as the first rentals from that location were going out. I paddled fast to get out in front, slowing down to take this photo.




My camera is clearer than my eyes. I know there was something atop the big gator, but thought weeds. I saw it was a young gator, and took more pictures. One of my readers emailed me a similar photo from the Wekiva a few months ago. Her photo had three babies. I wonder if this is the survivor. Of course, kids eventually leave home, as this fella is doing here.




Upon arriving at the Indian/party/rope swing mound, I discovered I was not the only person on the River.










Or in it. Alligators are not far away. Two minutes, according to my camera, when I saw this juvenile.




I saw many birds. Green, blue, great blue and tri-colored herons. A lot of the blue herons were young- that is not blue, but white. Dozens of great egrets flying overhead. Pileated woodpeckers, belted kingfishers, ibis, limpkins, anhingas and osprey. Here are two examples.






Here is a tri colored heron, top knot hanging from the back of its head.




Same bird, profile.









Continuing the multiple pose theme, here's an osprey eyeing the River and preparing to take off.










The osprey shots were taken after I turned around, at the 2 hour mark. The only people I had seen since the rope swingers were three motor boats. All slowed when passing. One of the three is going to lose his prop if he continues to operate as he was. Although he slowed to pass me, he opened it up on the narrow, twisting, full of submerged objects, River. People may think they "know" the River, but it changes constantly.





I encountered paddlers after the turn. That far downstream, I assume most were headed to Katie's Landing and shuttling back. The assumption proved correct for two groups, one which asked for far to Katie's, the other asking how far to "the end". What to you mean by "the end", I replied. "Where they pick you up" Two hours. One of the canoers seemed disappointed. But what better place to spend 3.5 to 4 hours, with views like this.









The Buffalo Tram campsite was unoccupied, so I stopped for lunch. Upstream, traffic began to pick up. Over a dozen canoes and kayaks, from both the Park and the Marina were beached at the Indian Mound. A couple motor boats as well.






Another alligator.





This one was far from the Mound, past the Marina. Here the traffic got busy, with renters from two locations about a mile apart. I knew how to avoid it. Go up Rock Springs Run. Which was blessedly empty, until, I came upon a string of five canoes headed upstream. I bided my time and passed them. Then I encountered a large group coming downstream. They passed, and I correctly assumed the renters coming upstream would soon turn around. They did. I always hope for a deer or bear sighting on the Run. No such luck. Good bird pics, however.








The green heron was kind enough to wait for me as I changed battery packs. I spent almost 90 minutes on Rock Springs Run, most of it on the way back as I drifted, with a corrective stroke here and there. I beached the yak about 3, another six hour paddle. As I prepared to drag the yak up the hill, I heard one of the workers say all the canoes were out, but kayaks were available. I'd wager the Park made money this "free" day. Just as last Sunday, I told myself I'd take a dip in the Spring if a parking space were available as I drove by. I pulled out of my space, quickly occupied by a waiting vehicle, and did find a space near the Spring. It felt great, if too crowded for any pictures. So I'll close with another picture of an great egret from Rock Springs Run showing an ibis (lower right corner, better look in photo above) proper grooming.



1 comment:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Six hours? Man, you gotta be in world-class shape.