Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Juniper Creek




Last night, I thought about where to paddle today, Saturday, June 12, 2008. Under consideration were two old favorites, the Hillsborough and Weeki Wachee, and a new paddle (for me, other than brief visits from the Silver River) the Ocklawaha. A look at weather.com showed Tampa having the least chance of rain, 40%, so I was set to go to the Hillsborough.









and discovered Juniper Wayside had been reopened for launching. My paddling plan changed. I had to go to Juniper Creek. I intended to continue launching from the Wayside despite the ban, figuring the odds of getting "caught" are slim. I've never seen an authority figure at the Wayside when launching, but it is nice to know I, and all paddlers, can put in without worrying about being fined. There was no change at the Wayside from my last visit, tape still covered the "Unloading" part of this sign.





I was in Juniper Creek at 7:20. As reported previously, Juniper Creek is not the best birding paddle. Perhaps because over half is thick forest, so they are hard to see. But there were several limpkins, including this one, looking for a hard object to crack the shell.










Juniper is one of my top places to see deer, and I did today.

















Deer are bigger than birds, so are easier to see in the woods. The two above were together, one had been resting, not standing when I first saw it. I saw no other deer after this pair.



I did see several alligators, I'd say eight. Which is more than I usually see on Juniper Creek. Saw plenty of fish, bass, bluegills, gar, mullet. Smelled fish as well. Then I saw the source of the smell. You can't see it, but this gator had a fish in its jaw.





I passed the half way point, and beyond, before seeing the first people coming downstream from the Juniper Creek Recreation Area. Fifteen to twenty. Two very interesting canoes. Blind folks in the bow, a paddling guide in the stern. Made me think of the sounds, smells and feel of the Creek.



I arrived at the Recreation Area at 10:30 and headed straight to the Spring. Not yet overrun at this hour, but still plenty of activity. Had to cut my dive over the main vent short, to avoid divers and jumpers from the deck. Swam through the eel grass, hoping to see an eel, no luck today. This is a secondary vent.






Raccoons are a constant presence in the picnic area adjacent to Juniper Spring.








With one eye on the raccoon, I had a sandwich then strolled over to Fern Hammock Springs.




If you know of a prettier site in Florida, let me know. I reboarded the yak about 12:15 and made my way downstream. I timed it so I had the Creek to myself and wildlife for over an hour.








I like the limpkin's eye peering through the branch. Sometimes I just get lucky. I took it easy downstream, in order to have the Creek to myself. Eventualy I passed eight paddlers, causing me to think, if I was going slow....



This section was much eaiser downstream.




Here is the obligatory turtle on log shot.



Birds seen, in addition to the pictured limpkins and cardinal, were great egret, great blue heron, pileated woodpeckers (several), red shouldered hawks and a red tailed hawk.

I took the same amount of time coming downstream as I had paddling up, three hours. The atmosphere at the Wayside certainly is different now that the no swimming rule is enforced, and the dirt parking area on the opposite bank blocked off. Once a boy scout troop left, and then the Rec Area shuttle (after I told him it would be awhile before anyone else arrived), I was the only one at the Wayside on a July Saturday afternoon. Drizzling, but still, what a change.

At the top of the post, I have links to my site and Green Wave on the Wayside being opened to launching, here is a link to old fashioned media, the Ocala paper. http://www.ocala.com/article/20080712/NEWS/807120332

3 comments:

Emory said...

Well I am glad to see you able to paddle there. It is such a pretty place to paddle. I need to get back down there and paddle the river again. Thanks for the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Reading your story of July 12th made the fight to reopen input worth it. Thanks for all of your help Dave. I plan to make my first trip on the river for Monday.. Rowmin Goat

Dave said...

Thank you, Mike, for bringing it to my attention.
Let me know if the tape is off the sign.