Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, July 28, 2008

Rock Springs Run




Paddled Rock Springs Run this morning, July 28, 2008. In at 7:30 am, out at 10:30 am.




I followed a turkey family half way down the hill to the launch, two adults, a couple "teens"- bigger than the remaining 5 or 6 chicks. Too bad the camera was in a bag, not around my neck.








A nice morning. Saw green, blue, yellow crowned night, great blue herons, great egrets, ibis, limpkins, osprey, swallow tailed kites, turtles, and two alligators. Here are some of them.













I turned around at the spot where remnants of a logging road cross the Run, upstream of Indian Mound, not quite to Big Buck. Early paddles are the way to go in the summer. Beat the heat and avoid the rain. Here, turtles take advantage.








A great blue heron extends its solar panels.

I don't know why they do this. My guess is to dry, but perhaps its a mating thing. If anyone knows, post a comment.
I had the water to myself almost up to the time I returned to Wekiwa Springs State Park. Saw no mammals, other than squirrels. It has been a while since I've seen a deer along the Run. I know they are out there. I've seen them in the Park, twice since my last water view, and a reader has told me she has seen them during her trips.
I will not have the opportunity to see any this weekend, as I won't be kayaking. In Florida.
Family vacation to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I'd rather go to Wisconsin, but will make do. I 've found a local yak shop close to our location in Duck, so I will be getting out. May be able to post a written report, but no pictures until Sunday, August 10.

1 comment:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Aug. 10 is long ways off. I shall be patient.