Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 27, 2021

Cudjoe Key, Key West

I am used to the ground level of Rowan Manor being packed with people.  But, there was no open house this Thanksgiving.  Only 1 of the 7 Haskell-Rowan children were in town, and the 1 had Thanksgiving at her house.  Bill and Monica have been renting the place out.  But it was open over the holiday.  So, I had the run of the place.
 

Went to Fort Zach, to snorkel before the water got cloudy.  Too bad a too big for the channel, cruise ship came in.  
I snorkeled









   In the kayak at Cudjoe Key, Blimp Road










Spot on the camera, not a full moon.





































Landed at 12:21
Got on my bike



Blimp Road is about 1.5 miles


Overseas Heritage Trail 




The Cudjoe Key section of the Trail is off U.S. one with a nice buffer.




I did not cross the highway, but turned around. 












Back on Blimp Road














Back at my sister and brother in law's house.  

With guacamole from avocados on the property, and a  Stella!  Tennessee Willimas, lived, and wrote, less than a mile away 
 
Back on the water. Fogarty St. pond


Salt Run





Into, Garrison Bight



















Landed at 5:13.
To Mangia Mangia for dinner with nephew Arlo and family

3 generations of the family, outside Mangia Mangia.  A long day for Ashley and Zadie. Were up at 4 AM to get to the Asheville, NC, airport. Arlo and Aviva were on another bike.  Bill left early, for a poker game.

Monica and I went to see Christmas lights









And a band at the historic Schooner Wharf.  Historic, because back in  June,2000, when in town for my niece's high school graduation, I finished first in my age group in the Schooner Wharf 8K.  A road race, not a kayak race.  I successfully defended my title in 2001.  And 2002. In 2003, approaching the end of the 40-44 age group, I finished 2nd.   I was a dynasty. 

Gulf cart is bigger than Monica's Mini Cooper.

No comments: