Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, September 12, 2022

Cedarburg

 

Sadly, this is a non-kayaking Tale.  I was ready to go, despite all day rain. Left my brother's house and went to Ackerman's Ford Park in Washington County.  Planning to paddle Little Cedar Lake. Went through the rigmarole of signing up for a kayak online.  Did that at the Park, in case the weather was really bad.  Received an email with the combinations to unlock the kayaks and chest with paddles and PFDs.  Could not unlock any.  Called the outfitter, no answer, and no ID on the phone.  Called again, left a message.  Went to the website, filled out a form about the locks.   Called again, no answer, I did not leave a message.

Got a return call. "We are closed due to weather" "Then why was I able to make, and get charged for a reservation".   "Your reservation is for Monday".  I got the money refunded. This outfit has a monopoly on all Washington County Parks as well as Mauthe Lake in the Kettle Moraine State Forest.  I asked who might be open. "Try Orenda in West Bend"  I had seen that name the night before.  Not much of an online presence.  West Bend was a short drive away.

Turns out I have used Orenda in the past.  When they were called, Zodiac.  Which still is on the building. No renting there, either.  Just one employee, who had to get the bar next door ready.

Plan C.  Milwaukee Kayak Company, just south of Downtown.  I have used then 2x before.  Did not want to today, as I did not want to go the airport in wet clothes.  Kayaking in Washington County, I could stop at my brother's before heading to the airport.  I called, left a message. Never got a return call.

No photos taken of Little Cedar Lake at Ackerman's Ford Park.  Or of Cedar Creek, which flows from the south end of the lake

I went to the only covered bridge in Wisconsin
A complication there, as the bridge is out. Both the covered bridge, which is pedestrian only, and the modern, car bridge.  Not due to flooding from all the rain, but construction.




  

The bridge crosses Cedar Creek


Went to Cederburg, where Cedar Creek bisects the downtown



If I had a kayak, I would put it in at the stone steps below the rapids, paddle the Creek a short distance, into the pond.














The Creek continues under this bridge. I walked the bank at the Boy Scout building, until I could not access it.  




The stone steps.

The brown building houses the Cedarburg Historical Museum.  I visited.  Nice local collection.



A brewpub is behind the door. I went in. No windows, so I returned to my brother's house.

There are tables outside, but I was wet enough. 

No comments: