Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Suwannee River, Lafayette Blue to Suwannee River Rendevous Resort




























Great day of paddling and snorkeling for a great cause.  After an inauspicious start.  Forgot to take the coffee mug off the roof of the car. It fell off. Shattered.  Had to stop at a gas station before getting on the highway.



There is an annual cleanup of the Suwannee River, the last Saturday of October.  I did it in 2018 and 19.  The last two years, I was at Sanibel.  This year, my brother and sister-in-law are on St. Simons Island, GA.  Plans made before the hurricane.  I could have visited them, but I am not a fan of marshy, tidal paddling.  And, I was in the general area last weekend.  And, the marine forecast was poor. So, I decided to do the cleanup.
Began at Lafayette Blue Springs State Park.














The Suwanee River Rendezvous Resort provides free shuttle service for Cleanup participants.  To the Hal Adams ramp, which is 8 miles back to the Rendevous.  However, they say they have adopted 12 miles of the River.  So, I asked my driver if he could take me to Lafayette Blue Springs.  The 12 mile mark.  He mulled it over for a few moments, and perhaps as I was the only one in the truck, said yes.

Underway at 10:15.  Grabber supplied by the Rendezvous. Along with bags and gloves

Paddling past Lafayette Blue Spring














.








Turtle in an unnamed spring, on the right bank.
.

Hand over the side






.


















Approaching Perry Spring












I snorkeled










.


.














.


This may have been here where I momentarily re-littered the Suwannee.  I had fished a yellow plastic bucket out of the river.  It fit in the rear hatch.  I could pick up trash with the grabber and drop it in the bucket.  There was one area of downed trees that had caught a lot of stuff.  I picked up as much as I could from one side, then paddled to the other. Trying to get close, a branch knocked the bucket into the water.  One plastic bottle came out.  I grabbed the bucket, emptied the water, then retrieved the bottle.







Hal Adams Bridge
Hal Adams ramp. Where most of the Cleanup volunteers launched. 


.








Alligator Rescue Spring



Had over the side.










Telford Springs.  A family, non-Cleanup participants were there

































Peacock Slough
I have paddled the Slough when water levels were higher.  Much higher.

Peacock Slough River Camp
.











































Running Springs II.  Running Springs I usually can't be paddled into.  Although, I have. When the Suwannee was several feet higher.






















To get to Running Springs I you need to swim across Running Springs II, then climb the ladder. Walk through the woods, down a slope to Running Springs I











































Paddling past Running Springs II.






I call this small spring, Running Springs III

.






Approaching the Drew Bridge







Deer



















Bathtub Springs.  A family that was taking part in the cleanup was there.  Fully loaded kayaks.  "That's why I am not finding anything downstream of the Bridge"  They said when thy arrived a Telford, a trash loaded canoe was leaving.
























































.


Convict Springs Run



Landed at 5:56

Some of the haul from the cleanup.  Not the canoe. The yellow bucket and contents was my contribution.

 I got to keep the grabber.  When I went to turn it in, I asked, "So, do we get dessert, or something?" In 2018, volunteers got dinner, in 2019, dessert.  Carl, holding on to the grabber I had just handed him said, "You can keep this"

Convict Springs

I did not snorkel, figuring it was too late in the day for decent underwater photography


.



Cat on a Lukewarm Tin Roof.  It probably never got above the springs temperature of 72 degrees on an overcast day


The view from outside the door of my room.

No comments: