Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, October 23, 2022

Fort Clinch State Park, via the Scenic Route


 The scenic route on Saturday, October 22 included a ferry crossing of the St. Johns River.  See my kayaks?




I took the scenic route as I was towing my camping trailer.  May as well slow down, and there is no better scenic route than A1A.  I did take I4 and I95 to Old Dixie Highway, and was on the Ormond Scenic Loop.  Above. Below, A1A, approaching North Peninsula State Park


I had hopes to make it to North Peninsula State Park for sunrise.  Missed it by about 20 minutes.

Next stop, the Matanzas River near the Matanzas Inlet and Fort Matanzas

Osprey pair off the parking lot.
Same osprey, from the water












Fort Matanzas. Built by the Spanish from 1740 to 1742. To guard the "back door" to St. Augustine.










The tide was ripping. I did not make it very far before I gave up and turned around















A Century ride was in progress. Riding southbound across the Matanzas Inlet.  Wind at their backs.



Landed at 10. Just an hour fifteen minutes.  Paddling against the tide was very, very, very, very, difficult. Thought of taking a free National Park Service ferry to Fort Matanzas, but having the trailer, and my poor backing skills (the short tongue makes it jackknife easily) I went on to my next destination on A1A.


St. Augustine Lighthouse
The Bridge of Lions. Which the City of St. Augustine makes a big deal about.  It has a measly 2 lions.  Compared to the bridge in Lake Park, which has 6, maybe 8.  Put Lake Park in the search box and you will see it.  I grew up half a mile away.  My Mom lived across the street after she sold the family homestead.


High rise bridge to Vilano Beach.  My plans to visit the Castillo San Marcos were stopped by criminals. There is a large vehicle parking lot3-4 blocks from the Castillo.  Parking is free.  I saw one large vehicle. An Airstream.  Every other space was occupied by passenger cars and trucks.  Despite every space have an Oversized Vehicle/Trailer Parking only sign.  I should have called the cops and requested a tow truck. 

As long as I was taking the scenic route, I may as well take the ferry across the St. Johns River at Mayport











Back on the land part of A1A

Little Talbot Island State Park









4288 9164
Big Talbot Island State Park

.

Trail through a coastal hammock

.







Amelia Island, across Nassau Sound

.











.
I did.






Amelia Island State Park




If I am ever at Amelia Island State Park without the camping trailer, I may drive on the beach

.



.



4318









Fort Clinch State Park

9189

No comments: