Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 27, 2022

John Pennenkamp Coral Reef State Park


 

I did something different my last day in the Keys for a Holiday Weekend.  Waited until I was in the Upper Keys before kayaking.  That had me miss the usual traffic jam from past Long Key through Islamorada.
Put the kayak in at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park at 10:55


















Just randomly exploring.  There are a few junctions with arrows.  Maybe next time I will ask for a map at the rental concession.



I figure as long as I see sawed off mangrove branches, I'm good.

Can't always trust the sawed off branches. One spot was a dead end. Had I been in the 16.5 kevlar Tsunami, and not the 14 footer, I would have been backing out. 




Damaged boardwalk





Bouy reads, "Spanish Ship Wreck 1715" In the Cannon Beach swim area.















Landed at 12:50





Snorkeling among the cannons







Jellyfish




Saw a second cormorant, swimming. 











Lunch view
Philly cheese steak.  Maybe if I had a brat the Packers would have won


Headed home.  Delay for the first third of the 18 Mile Stretch, but once past a disabled vehicle, traffic was moving at 65 plus.  Speed limit is 55.

No comments: