Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Trailer Camping Weekend, Sunday

This was my sixth overnight in my Runaway Cool Camp.  After traveling as far as 230 miles from home, Koreshan Historic State Park, it was nice to spend the night just a dozen miles from home.
Heck, I could have driven home to get my wallet. I had cash and a credit card in my dry bag. As long as I don't get pulled over on the drive home, I'll be fine.


Darn camera would not zoom for a better picture. Because I still had it on the low light setting from Saturday night.


Lake Prevatt.  A much shorter hike from the campground than it is from the Sand Lake Parking lot, my usual starting [point.
I have seen the lake, empty of water








Dozens of these little birds flitted about.

A 45 minute walk.  Breakfast, oatmeal and coffee, checked out.
I don't worry about leaving my kayak near the launch area overnight. It's to heavy for a thief to sneak in after hours and carry up the hill.
On the Wekiva River at 10:45
Black crowned night heron
Great egret and ibis





Anhinga
Great blue heron






Immature blue heron






I saw more birds on this section of the Wekiva than I have seen in a long time. Sadly, my camera was failing me. Often no response when I press the shutter.







First gator of the day.   I expected to see several on this sunny day after rain on Saturday.



Midded-that's a shell mound














Second gator of the day













 Another midden?







Osprey


 Posts from an old logging railway, or tram. Gives the Buffalo Tram Campsite its name.  Well, half of it.
 Once I was past Wekiva Island, I had seen 2 motorboats, both which slowed when passing me.  No paddlers.  Until, past Buffalo Tram,  I heard something behind me.  Thought it was a trolling motor.  No, a guy furiously paddling a short kayak.  He reached me, asked me about my kayak, Wilderness Tsunami 14.5 footer, and turned around.














 Third, and final alligator of the day.




 Limpkins










 Landed at 2:20.  Bill of Wekiva Outfitters took me back to Wekiva Springs State Park. $30.00 for the two shuttles. Not a bad deal.


Time to close out the weekend with a swim.
























No comments: