Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Bataria Preserve, Jean Lafitte National Historic National Park


I was think of kayaing Bayou St. John, in New Orleans.  But, a local kayaking blog wrote about low bridges.  And I heard on the radio that water levels were high.  So, I looked for something else, and found the Bataria Preserve.   The place I kayaked last time I was in New Orleans, the Bayou Sauvage National Wildlife Refuge, had warnings about being silted over.  I di walk through thigh deep muck near the end of my paddle there a few years ago.

\
There are 2 designated launch sites in the Preserve.
This is one. I do not like getting in and out from docks.  This one, with the raised edge, would be even more difficult

The other site was near this sign.  No dock, just launch from the bank.  I asked a ranger if this was the place.  He said it was. 
 On the water at 11:08, 10:08 Central


Wood ducks

Red winged black bird
The dock I did not launch from


The high lip

The Preserve's website said to check before coming to see if the waterways were clear
This stuff can curtail any paddling.























Shells in an uprooted tree. The kiosk at the start mentioned a midden.  (Native American shell mound)



























Large cypress tree

Pirogue in the Visitor Center
Sign says Louisiana's wetalnds are twice the size of the Everglades
I had wondered it the otter like animal I saw was a nutria.  It was.
Invasive varmint from South America.  They like to burrow into earthen levys.   There is a bounty on them.  Just bring a tail, as proof.





.09 miles  from the Visitor Center to the Parking lot where I had launched.

And back.






 I wanted another authentic Louisana meal.  I put Restaurants, Cajun, in the GPS and a mile away way des Familles.   Named after one of the bayous I had been on. Which was named for the families from the Canary Islands that farmed the land.
 A boat in front is always a good sign.
 So is seeing an alligator through the window.



 Gumbo and a local IPA from Gleason's Brewing
 Shrimp po' boy
Another paddle craft, inside.
 Too bad you can't hear the music.   A great combination of bluesy jazz, and zydeco.
 Des Familles was exactly what I was looking for.


 Boats as planters.

Traffic crawled from across the Mississippi into downtown.  Cleared up pass downtown, but was jammed coming in from the other direction.  My cousin said tonight was the most adult of all the Mardi Gras parades.  Which for New Orleans, is saying something.

We adults, the children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, great niece, and friends, celebrated the life of Frederick Moore Tyson, Sr.   My Uncle Fred.

No comments: