Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, February 24, 2020

Blue Spring

Sad site at the French Avenue ramp
 Dead manatee
 Florida Fish and Wildlife Truck preparing to retrieve it.  I moved from where I was parked so it could be closer to the corpse
 I asked this crew if they were on a research or rescue mission. "Rescue, unfortunately. There is a manatee with a bicycle tire around it"  I had heard, and seen pictures of that manatee a few months ago.  I was surprised, pleased, and dismayed, all at the same time.
 St. Johns River


 Six minutes on the water, and I was seeing bald eagles and an alligator





 Can't enter Blue Spring Run during the winter manatee season
 But, manatees can come out





 First crew team I've seen this season. Hopefully, they won't hit  a manatee
 Stopped to say hi to Joe C.  Only to be told he only works Tuesdays, now.
























 Snake Creek

































Back on the St. Johns


 Another boat, this one from Sea World, joining in the search for "Wheelie"  The crew I talked to at the ramp said one thing preventing  a rescue was it would be among all the other manatees.





























 This Manatee Watch volunteer said she has dove after Wheelie, failing to get a hold of it
 Not, Wheelie








 


 A three hour tour
 Lots of vehicles at the ramp when I landed, including vehicles from the FWC, Sea World, and Volusia County.  All part of an unsuccessful effort to capture Wheelie and remove the tire.
 https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/florida/os-ne-wheelie-manatee-tire-around-body-spotted-20200131-vsug2chrbfamtodmkkneefb7vu-story.html

Hog
Hoglet

No comments: