Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Rodman Campground, Saturday

This weekend, the Adventure Box went to the Rodman Campground.  Florida State Park campsites are at a premium this time of year.  When I saw a site at the Park near the Rodman Reservoir, was available, I grabbed it.  Not because I like reservoirs, but I like the Ockalawa River when it is in drawdown stage.
The boat launch near the Hog Valley Country Store is down a very rough trail. I will not call it a road.  One of the safety chains came loose, but I made it.  I was on the Ocklawaha River at 8:05







Upstream paddle











Entering the run to Cannon Springs



The air was chilly, but I snorkled.  I mean, how could I not?




The water level was higher than it was in the fall







In the fall, I snorkeled down the run. This time, it was too cool.  I also did not see the vents that are in the run as I paddled in.








Having my spring to myself was well worth the early, cool, start.




See the white, below? Under the left branch.  A few of these in a section of the run.  Sulphur?

Back on the River



Paddling down river, back to the launch site







Eagle

Could this lead to a spring?




This may be the run from Tobacco Patch SPrings

It was windy. Paddling into it, of course.












Landed at 11:05

 Driving through the Ocala National Forest. When I arrived at the Rodman Campground, I asked if I missed the hard road.  No. I would have had to go back to US 19 for pavement, instead of the scenic, through the Forest route.

Rodman Reservoir.
Rodman Dam.  Part of an attempt to dig a canal across Florida.  Stopped by Richard Nixon in 1971. One of his three accomplishments.   The other, re-establishing relations with China, and appointing my namesake Uncle, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
Campsites are on the canal. I think they may be on what was a road for heavy equipment, above which is a high berm.






Walk along the canal







Back on the water, near the dam.














In the canal












Into the natural channel

























A nice, 90 minute or so, loop





Dinner time

No comments: