Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Rodman Campground, Sunday

One drawback about my canal front site, it is a long walk to the bathroom
Lucky for me, I only had to pee during the night.  Above pic is after the morning dump at 6:50 AM
Good thing I only had one Italian sausage Saturday night.  My usual camping breakfast is oatmeal.  Heating up water in the coffee maker.  Which I left at home.  I had nothing to boil water in, so no coffee, either. 



 Driving through the Ocala National Forest

 Paved road begins in Marion County.  The Rodman Campground is in Putnam County.
 Launch site on the east side of the Ocklawaha River, across from the Orange Springs launch.  The end of the ramp is where the water level will be in April when they open  up the dam.
 Bald eagle overhead.

 On the water at 9:40








 Headed down River



















This may be where I turned around

 People with big ass boats like the Damn Reservoir.  But, they still can get to the water during the drawdown.  If the dam were blown up, and the Ocklawaha restored, ramps could be built on the natural bank.  Not 100 yards away.
 Baby gator












 As the boat ramp on the west bank is called the Orange Springs ramp, I wondered where the name sake spring was
 A waterway flows into the Ocklawaha near the launch
I paddled up it.
 I now know it is Orange Creek.  This is where I stopped.    I asked a kayaker coming down stream about Orange Spring.  He said it was still a long way off, would require a couple portages, and was on private property
 Stashed canoe just beyond where I turned back.












 Soon, much of this beautiful Creek will be flooded. Intentionally. It is so bleeping stupid and short sighted.










 Landed at 1.
 The road from this ramp is a superhighway compared to the one I was on, Saturday

 Since I did not find any springs on the Ocklawaha, I went to Salt Springs.
Which I was very disappointed to find out, will not join the other springs based recreation areas in the Forest in an annual pass. If the incoming new management at Juniper, Silver Glen, and Alexander decide to do it.  I paid the $6.50.



















 $6.50, and not a single blue crab.  I did hear some people see one.




 Stopped at the Yearling Trail

Florida scrub jay
















Another great weekend.  I told my self at $6.50, I will only go to Salt Springs when I camp there.  I can launch the kayak at the campground, and not pay the $10 fee on the other side of Salt Springs Run.  I have reservations for March 13-15.

No comments: