Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Blackwater Creek, Wekiva River


 Leaving Katie's Landing at 9:10. I left the car there, on the way back to my kayak in the Seminole State Forest 


Wekiva Park Road
The bike ride in longer, thanks to an unfinished toll road.  Have to go east toa round about, before heading west to the Forest. 

The Wekiva River, below.
Entering the Seminole State Forest





On the Creek at 10:20. Had to change a flat on the bike and had a nice chat with a couple at the launch

.


Duck potato






Sulphur Run. Paddled farther up it than I ever knowingly have.  I say that because I may have paddled it not knowing where I was.  I took a smart phone map app to show me, yes, this is Sulphur Run.  That was an old phone.  I dropped it in the Run.  I forgot I had it in my hand as I paddled with the other, pushed off a tree... opps, don't have three hands.  I was more careful, this time. 








































I wanted to stop at my usual spot, high ground about 3 miles down the Creek, but it was occupied.


A pair of tiny gators.  I may have passed mama, just up stream.  I stayed in the kayak.









More babies.  Wood ducks











Leaving Blackwater Creek.  I had seen no one since I left the launch.

Began to paddle upstream on the Wekiva River


The Wekiva was flowing fast. It was tough paddling. 



Another spot where I wanted to stop, was occupied.  I prefer baby alligators to lazy ass motor boaters who are too cheap to pay for a campsite











Lots of vegetation at the old Wekiva Haven










Landed at 2:57.
Back in the State Forest
Got on the bike




A stop at Moccasin Spring









Had the 2nd flat tire of the day
Had to walk here, anyway.
Palm Spring





.











Walking the bike back to the car.





End of the day, 5:25 PM

No comments: