Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Turkey Creek


 I woke up at 7:11. Oh no!  Missed sunrise. Went out the condo door. No sun. Clouds and rain. Rain forecast to stop around noon.  So I had leisurely breakfast.  In three parts.  Left the oceanfront condo, driving the speed limit. Until I got to the 192 bridge over the Indian River.  A marathon was in progress.  So that slowed things down.  A final delay in Palm Bay where a road closure caused a detour.

On the water from Goode Park in Palm Bay at 11:25.  No rain.



Building a new railroad bridge for the Brightline rail service alongside the old RR



U.S. 1.  Wind was  forecast to pick up later, so I paddled into Palm Bay to begin the day.






Indian River and the 192 Bridge, to the north.















Hoped to see dolphins, or manatees. No luck.






My first robin of the winter

.Blue jay
I never saw such a large flock of blue jays.  Still haven't.    A helpful friend told me these are cedar waxwings. 

Downy woodpecker



.










Alligator











Never saw this bridge before. On a side channel



End of the line



















The landing below is good if you want quick access to the nicest section of Turkey Creek











Landed at 2:25
My brother, whose rental condo I had spent Saturday night at, asked me about the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge,  I told him, and my sister-in-law, that I would give them a report from Black Point Wildlife Drive.
I changed my mind.  Orlando Wetlands Park was on the way home. Blackpoint Wildlife Drive would be a 25 mile detour.  50 in total.
Roseate spoonbills 

I was biking















.


















No comments: