Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Imperial River, Saturday, January 14


First stop, W.P. Franklin Lock and Dam Campsite. My site, Number 3 was occupied when I arrived. I had just unhitched the trailer and pushed it into a parking spot in the boat ramp area, when the camphost came over and said, "Its open"  Sure enough it was.  I was able to set up before heading down to Naples to pick up my Kevlar Tsunami at Paddle Sports of Naples.
I wanted to take the patched kayak to the Capri Fish House and paddle to Cannon Island. But, a cold front was moving through and the Gulf was rough. So,went to the Imperial River in Bonita Springs.  Never having paddled it before, I used a plastic Tsunami.


 On the River at 1:06. Plan was to paddle upstream.  Paddled down at first, until I figured the current was the incoming tide.

.


I had never heard of Everglades Jungle Gardens until doing some research for this paddle.  An old school road side attraction.  Going back to the 1930's on Old Highway 41



.






Scenic creek in an urban areaaa

















Glad I had the tough, plastic kayak.  Had a couple spots where I pulled myself over downed branches

This may be where I turned back.  Tree down








A spring run. I saw 2. 
 I was going to take a picture of the other, which I saw earlier, on the down river paddle.  But, I missed it.  The spring that gave Bonita Springs its name, is on the grounds of the Shangri La Hotel.

Go to the thumbnails on the left, and scroll to the bottom.























High bluffs

Swamp lilly





Manatee. I saw 3 on the way up the River

Only a handful of people. All paddling.



.



Ornate green roofed structures at the Wonder Gardens

.

Landed at 3:47.  An Art Festival was taking place in the Park next to the Park I launched at.  That Park was used for Artist Parking.  I went to Manatee Park, which is on the way to W.P. Franklin
Manatees like the warm water from a powerplant discharge canal


.





I have kayaked here, but no time this visit.

Back at my campsite



Couldn't get water to boil for my ramen noodles in the 50-degree chill.  It was 35 when I woke up, Sunday




No comments: