Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Mound Key, Saturday January 7


 Three weeks ago I brought one of my kayaks down to Naples for some surgery by the Kayak Doctor, Jay Rose. It is a long drive, so I like to stay the night.  Campsites in Southwest Florida are hard to  get, Even harder after Hurricane Ian, as both Koreshan and Collier-Seminole State Park campogrounds are still closed.  When a site opened up at W.P. Franklin Lock and Dam, I grabbed it. 

The kayak was not yet ready.  I can't complain.  Jay and his wife brought their first child into the world on December 28. So, father-daughter bonding rightfully took priority over bonding my leaky kayak,

I will just have to make another trip this weekend. Once again, I was able to get a site at W.P. Franklin.
I stopped at W. P. Franklin to drop off my trailer, then headed to Koreshen State Park.  The day use area, historical buildings, and boat launch are open.   I asked the ranger at the entrance when the campground will reopen. "Maybe February"
I was on the Estero River at 10:22
Ian damage

 






There were no dolls hanging from the creepy doll bridge.  The bridge below has a dozen or more buck naked Barbies hanging from it.  I suspect they were removed as part of the Hurricane prep, as I did not see any tangled in the mangroves down stream































I am not sure if this is a shell mound, or a mound from dredging the River




Into Estero Bay







Landed at Mound Key. Capitol of the Calusa.





Walk to the top of the Key








Saw a dolphin






Landed on the other side of Mound Key


















Back in the Estero River













Landed at 4:15.
Bald eagle on the northeast corner of Corkscrew Road and Highway 41.  Just outside Koreshan State Park

My campsite at W.P. Franklin Lock and Dam.  A U.S. Arny Corps of Engineers site.  Only $15 for old  people




No comments: