Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Weeki Wachee

When I got an email from Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, saying the kayak launch would be closed Saturday and Sunday due to the weather, I thought, that is where I am going. Not the Park, but the Weeki Wachee River. Saturday brought 5 inches of rain and high winds all over Florida. The storm moved southwest to northeast. The forecast called for the wind to diminish at 10 AM in Weeki Wachee, on the Gulf Coast. Not until 3 PM in Central Florida. So, I headed west.
Heavy rain and high time made the kayak launch at Rogers Park deeper that I have ever seen
I had a nice chat with a guy on a small, round boat as I began paddling up River. I asked him about a pipeline in the water. I knew that the canal along Shoal Line Blvd had been dredged, I did not know the Weeki Wachee was being dreged too. He told me the dreging goes up to the last canal. He has noticed the difference when he dives from his dock. Takes longer to touch bottom. On my way back, I saw his little boat. At the "Don't Insult the Alligator" house.
Pipeline and dredging equipment.
I took a picture of the wrong house, to show the water level. This is next to the one with the whimsical artwork of manatees, King Neptune, and more, on the seawall. But the wall is the same height. Water almost over it.
Manatees at the last canal.I have seen them here before, so I paused, and was rewarded.
More manatees
In addition to the guy I talked to near the start, I saw two other boats on the way up the Weeki Wachee. The third was from Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, checking for downfall in the wake of the storm. They had just finished clearing some when I saw them. They asked how the paddle upstream had been, "Clear". Easy too. A strong wind was mostly at my back. Negating the effect of the swift flowing River.
The sign on the tree marked the boundary of the Weeki Wachee attraction. Since the State has taken over, State Park land extends farther down River.
Instructing people to stay in their vessels to protect the River.
Limpkin
Pie billed grebe
Belted kingfisher
End of the line. The barricade is a new addition. It used to be just the sign. Too many illterate people, I guess.
Closed kayak launch
0563

No comments: