Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, October 7, 2019

Day 3 Suwannee River, October 7, 2019

Suwannee River State Park to Advent Christian Village

Kayak loaded and on the Suwannee at 9:05.

 A brief detour up the Withlacoochee River
 To see Suwanacochee Spring.







Ellaville Spring










 Intake for a power plant.  Steve, at the Canoe Outpost, told me a canoer tipped at some rapids just down River from here.
I put away the non water proof camera and broke out the Olympus TG-5.


I had to put the camera down to run the rapids.  I paddled as fast as I could, and hoped I did not hit anything.   Took on a little water over the bow, but did not hit any limestone outcrops.  Or, hidden underwater stone formations.

A ship that did not make it.
Okay, it a dock. I have a vivid imagination.


 Saw a deer near here











 Anderson Spring












































Sailboat rock



Damsel fly







I stopped here the one other time I paddled this stretch of the Suwannee.  Not today.



























It rained.  Not hard.






















Dock at Advent Christian Village.
I landed, not at the dock, but on the shore.
Climbed the tower.
The Lodge at Advent Christian Village.

I planned to stop here to pick up supplies.  And, in the back of my mind, thought I would get a room at the Lodge.   I got a room.
Paddled to the Dowling Park River Camp, to tell the camp host I would not be using the shelter I had reserved, months ago.



Closest shelter to the River is slightly above ground level, with a ramp.
The other 4 are elevated.

Camp site

Camp host was not around.














The Advent Christian Village began in 1913 as an orphanage and retirement home for ministers.










Gumbo and ribs.  Less than 8 bucks.  Bought some Chedearwurst at the grocery store.



 My room was $93 Fridge to keep the supplies chilled.  There may have been one other guest in the Lodge.   WIFI was not working.
It was working at "Camp Suwannee".  I posted a few pics from outside before calling it a day.

No comments: