Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Monday, October 7, 2019

October 5, 2019 Day 1, Suwannee River

Canoe Outpost, up River to Suwanee Springs, down to Holton Creek River Camp  
 The Canoe Outpost, located in Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park, has rentals, and shuttle services. I made arrangements to be picked up Thursday, at 6PM, in Branford.   The day was Saturday


 A nice lady gave me one of her spare bungees.  The cooler, which in a test pack in the garage fit inside the kayak, did not, "live".  I did have one bungee, or rather a rubber strap, but I gladly accepted the offer.

At 9:40 I was finally on the Suwannee

Paddling up River, as my downstream destination, Holton Creek River Camp, was only 7.5 miles away.



A creek can't enter the low Suwannee

I had never been on this section of the Suwannee River.  I had visited Suwannee Springs, and the ruins of a 19th Century spa, by land.


It is a 1.5 mile paddle from the ramp at the Outpost.




I did not swim.  More because of the small hole than the sulphur odor.
 A Facebook post set me off on this trail to see the Old Highway 129 bridge.


Thank you, Lisa KD


Rest room ruins?



A few people got in.


Spring water meets river water



 Back in the kayak, headed down River






People use all kinds of ways to get to the water. The Suwannee has extreme water level fluctuations. 


Paddle boarder decapitator. Actually, a group practicing rescue techniques.   Local hooligans would not have been wearing lifejackets and helmets.
 Crashing into the cliffs could hurt

Suwannee River Wilderness Paddling Trail sign at Spirit of the Suwannee.
 Ramp at the Canoe Outpost.  A 3 mile detour.


 Old railroad bridge













 Very shallow water.   I ran aground on the way up River to Suwannee Springs. Was able to sckooch to floatable depth.


 Shallow water means more limestone visible.  Works for me.














 Damsel fly.
 First people I saw since the paddle boarder landed back at the Canoe Outpost ramp
 I landed, too.

 Spring Run at the Sherriff's Boys Ranch







 I launched here once before, so now I was on a section of the Suwannee I had paddled.








A spring

 Another spring





 Looks like I would not be the only person at the Holton Creek Camp this Saturday evening


 I found out later in the week, talking to the camp host at Peacock Slough, that these bathrooms can be picked up and trucked away when the Suwannee floods.
 My shelter.  Closest to the water.  Pays to have reserved it months ago
They are free.


 Banana spider, or, golden orb, for you fancy folks












 The Florida Trail goes past my shelter
 A boy scout troop was camping.  A 2 day hike, training for a longer hike in New Mexico



Brat and ramen.







 With 4 groups in the other 4 shelters, and the Boy Scouts, it was a bit noisy at the campsite
 The Suwannee offered solace.
 Railing bent from a tree falling on it.





Good night.

No comments: