Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Chassahowitzka

Dr. Abby at The Crack.
 We stayed Saturday night at the Chassahowitzka Hotel.  My first time in the 110 year hotel, a quarter mile from its namesake River.  The good doctor, (PhD, UCSD) paid for two rooms.  I was told, as I was told at dinner on Saturday, (treat of Abby's friend, Emily)  that me supplying the kayaks was enough contribution for the weekend.


Sitting area
 Shared bath was bigger than my room

 Two shared baths, on either end of the sitting area.  7 rooms on the second floor, one on the first.
 We, Abby, Emily, and I were the only guests.  So I could look at some of the other rooms.  3 beds, above.


 With advance notice, a meal can be prepared.
 Downstairs sitting area,

 Kayaker on the sign.
Breakfast is "continental" put out by a 15 year employee.  I had a packaged  sweetroll, yogurt, and hard boiled egg.  Coffee, of course.  A fruit bar in my pocket for later.  The ladies had cereal and tea.  The 15 year employee is from Kenosha.  She is more than an employee, but a friend of the owner.  Who, sadly, died a 4 AM Saturday morning.  After a stroke on Thanksgiving.  Young guy, 54. His family, with a hiatus from 1969 to 2000, has owned the hotel since 1910.

 On the Chassahowitzka River, from the Chassahowitzka Campground launch, at 9:20.
 To the Solution Holes/Seven Sisters.
 Abby swam through the short tunnel.  Twice.



Half a dozen manatees at Snapper Hole Spring

 On to Baird Creek
 Baird Blue Spring
 To the Crack Spring
 We all swam


 Great blue heron where the run from the Crack flows into Baird Blue Spring






 Back on the Chaz. Bald eagle across from the entry to a creek.  A bit of a breeze at our back,  which would be in our face as we paddled up the wide portion of the River.  So, I said, lets go up Potter Creek.



 Came to an island, and I thought, Potter Creek does not have islands.  This has to be Salt Creek.   Another kayaker confirmed it.
The boater confirmed this was a small spring. Saw a few snapper in it.
 The last time I was on the Chaz, I intentionally went to Salt Creek.  And, got turned around in a couple dead end channels.  Same thing happened today.  So, my paddling companions were treated to an Uncle Dave extended adventure.  Finally, they found the correct channel.   As they went towards the Chaz, I saw the kayaker we saw earlier.   "This is the way back?"  "Yes".  Asking for directions, twice.  I said I have to turn in my man card.
 Abby's companion, Delphine.



 Manatee at Snapper Hole.  Not as many as there had been earlier

Crab Creek Springs

 Crab Creek
Landed at 2:20. Went back to the Hotel. We had gone to the Chaz Campground launch in one car.  Debbie, the cook, bill keeper, late owner's friend, said we could come back if we wanted to.  Shower, or whatever.   I looked for misplaced sunglasses, did not find them.  Had a nice talk with the maintenance guy, another 15 year employee.  "Just lock the place when you leave"  I am sure Abby and Emily did.    As I left before they did.

With a bottle of rum from the Dominican Republic.  Which I am sure will go over well, next week at Sanibel.

No comments: