Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Juniper Creek, Silver Springs State Park in the Runaway Camper



I thought of going to Gilchrist Blue Springs for the first trip.  But, the sites with electric are close together and have no buffer.  Except for one.  Which was taken.  Silver Springs State Park had one site left.  I got it.

Began the day at Juniper Springs.  I thought I would have the shuttle service pick me up at the end of the paddle. At the concession, I said "Rehaul"  The worker asked what kind of car I have.  I told her, she got on the phone, and said. "A Subaru Outback will be at the gate in 5 minutes"  Oh, 'rehaul" means a reverse shuttle, not hauling me back at the end of the paddle.   Looking at a sign that said pickups were on the hour, beginning at 1:30, I decided the reverse shuttle, or rehaul, was better.   I said, give me 7 minutes so I can use the restroom.
Followed the van to the takeout, rode back to the Recreation Area.  One reason had been thinking about getting picked up is, in the time it takes to get to the takeout and back, someone could launch ahead of me.  No one did.
On Juniper Creek at 9:30.  A few workers said no one had been on the Creek in a couple days.  A lot of rain had fallen, and they did not know the condition of the Creek


Blurry shot of the entrance to Fern Hammock


Entering the Juniper Wilderness

























I saw a great blue heron, kingfishers, other small birds, ibis, but due to the swift current and thick jungle, no animal pics until this alligator.


Posts at the old half way dock. Which was rickety when I first saw it in 2005.




















A peak at Sweetwater Springs









Landed at 12:45.  I had seen no one since I left Juniper Springs.  At the Wayside takeout, an airboat came in.  With a dead buck. Shot, I assume, by the blaze orange wearing dude in the airboat.

A few views of the CoolCamp



Back at Juniper Springs


















Walk to Fern Hammock Springs
















 Sign in the window at the Juniper Springs concession.  I would not be camping here.  Wanted to make full use of the electrical system in the CoolCamp, and Juniper has no electric sites

 Santa and I went to Silver Springs State Park
I thought a short string of lights were in the box with the tree.  They were not


 Camper is lit by a lamp from home.  The other light is a windup lantern
 A new heavy duty directors chair, with side table.


 Dinner on the grill

No comments: