Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Suwannee River. Royal Spring to Cave Dive Camp, July 31, 2020

I had a campsite reserved at Suwannee River State Park on Saturday.  Which raised the question.  Where do I stay on Friday night?  A motel in High Springs? Suwannee River Rendezvous?  Then I remembered, Cave Dive Camp.
 Cave Dive Camp is on the east bank of the Suwannee River.  Not to far downstream from Suwannee Blue Springs.  Owned by dive instructor, guide, springs studier, and enthusiast,  Sean McCarthy.  I met Sean last October, at the Suwannee River Rendezvous.
 The property has room for tents, and couple full hook up sites.  I arrived later than I hope.  My internet connection was down Friday morning.  So I clocked in 50 plus minutes later than planned.
After showing me around, Sean said, "We need to get you on the water!"  He was aware of my consecutive day streak.

 He drove me to Royal Springs.  He did not ask, I gave him 10 bucks.





 That is a turtle below.  Camera and case issues.  My Olympus TG-5 is undergoing repair/replacement.  Hope to have it back next week.



 Was not in the kayak until 7:08. And then, after a few minutes, I paddled back to the launch to see if my sunscreen was there. It was not. It was in Sean's Van.







 One good thing about staying with a river front land owner is, he knows what other river front land owners are doing.
Such as, the landowner at Suwannee Blue Springs was away.
 I have landed here before, but never walk to far to see all of the pools.



 It looked like there might be at least one more beyond the cypress knee, but I was running out of daylight.























Moon rise


 The only drawback.  Fairly steep stairs.  Sean has rigged up a rope and pulley system.  I did not use it, worried I would be almost to the top of the stairs and the kayak would come off and slide into the River.  I carefully as possible, dragged it up the staircase.

Sitting on the deck, watching stars and listening to the River.  The Adventure Box had power.  Next to it, and outdoor shower, and an upgraded shed with refrigerator, microwave, toilet and bed. What more do you need? 

I was the only guest this Friday.  Sure beats sharing at restroom with a dozen people or more at the Suwannee River Rendevous.

No comments: