Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek

Entering the Wekiva River, from Blackwater Creek.
 On the Wekiva River, from Katie's Landing, at 8:47 AM

Marsh Mallow

Blue heron.  Maturing from juvenile white to adult blue





On the All American channel



Green heron
I never stop here on the down River paddle. Must be getting old


Back on the Wekiva


Blue heron

Juvenile blue heron


Channel catfish.  I only know because that is what the kid's dad said.
Entering Blackwater Creek
It was blocked.  Had to go out, and take the secondary entrance.  The blockage did not affect that.






Kayaker's best friend



Alligator
Blackwater break spot.  I did not stop.  Yer.




Now I took a break
Bear scat.  I have seen a bear swim across the Creek, here.

Too many mosquitos for a shore lunch, so I got back in the kayak and headed down the Creek


Ate as I paddled









Young alligator




Ibis









Back on the Wekiva.  Up River to Katie's Landing.





I stopped again.  Same spot as earlier.  The Wekiva is flowing high and fast.  I spoke to Greg, of Adventures in Florida/Wekiva Outfitters, later. He said he took a group of 8 from Wilson's Landing to Highbanks on the St. Johns.  All down stream. 3 hours.  With a lunch
stop









I hoped to see the manatees I saw Wednesday.  None today. Did not even see any alligators on the Wekiva River.

Did not see any paddlers, either.  Greg's group must have gone by when I was on Blackwater Creek.  Less then 10 motor boats. They all slowed down when passing, or approaching, me.


Turkey



Landed at 3:08. 6 plus hours, with 3 short breaks.

No comments: