Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 29, 2020

11-26 Suwannee River


 Canoe Outpost to Holton Creek River Camp.  With a detour to Suwannee Springs

9:28 AM. loaded with 4 days and 3 nights of supplies, I set out from the Canoe Outpost at the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park.  My Thanksgiving night destination was the Holton Creek River Camp, a short 7.4  miles down the Suwannee River.  So, I paddled up River, first.



k
The TreeHouse at Spirit of the Suwannee



Limestone banks



Sugar Creek





My up River destination.  Suwannee Springs



A resort in the late 19th Century



I wanted to take a dip in the sulphur spring, but it is closed.

So I took a short walk to an abandoned bridge











Old changing rooms?

























A better view of the Tree House. Available to rent.






Back to where I started. A 2.4 mile detour





Old bridge pilings











Videos are out of order. Which happens when you take pictures and videos with 2 cameras, and a phone. The latter which does no tlink to my laptop.  So, it is a tedious process to add them to this Tale.












Lots of little springs






























Wildlife was hard to find.  A eastern phoebe.


 
The scenic banks, alternating from high limestone banks, to sandy slopes are what give the Suwannee its allure. 
 
















Florida Trail hiker filling his water bottle from a spring






0






Wildlife!




















































Rained hard for a while
No kayaks or canoes at Holton Creek Camp!

3 of the 5 shelters were occupied.  Florida Trail hikers have access to the camp from land.

A wheelbarrow is provided to tote your gear. 



Where I was, and where I was headed.


I was in a handicap shelter. The only one with a standup grill.  I had lots of matches, but the flint on the boxes were shot.  Luckily, being in the handicapped shelter, I was close to the bathroom.  So I could ask a nice hiker for a light as she walked by,
























No comments: