Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, November 5, 2020

Kings Bay, Crystal River


 
On the water at 7:20.  After paying the outrageous $7.50 launch fee.  And then having to cross a 5 lane highway to park.  And no toilet. Not only a Port-o-let.












I did not start early enough. A tour boat was already at Three Sisters Springs. With snorkelers in the water.


And two paddleboards and a kayak tied to the kayak rope.  I tied up mine and got into the water.





































Snook








Snook







Snorkeled with manatees for  a half  hour


More manatees, from the kayak


By the time I left, 4 pontoon boats were outside Three Sisters Springs. 

Several of these were in the Magnolia Springs area.  I have no idea what they are for.  Guessing, sea grass plantings protection.
I saw manatees before I got in the water, but did not see any as I snorkeled around. 













More manatees from the kayak





















Bald eagle at Buzzard Island












Bald eagle at Banana Island
I anchored just off the island.  Something I will not be able to do in a week. It will be closed as a Manatee Sanctuary as the waters turn cooler.

Except in the 72 degree springs. Like, Kings Spring























The spring, which is out in the Bay, was not very clear.  I was not sure how many manatees were there. I think just two. Who kept following me around, no matter which way I would go.






















Stopped at Hunter Spring Park











No manatees. Sheepshead, snapper, and a huge blue crab
















As I ate lunch, good music was coming form the next table.  Harmonies that reminded me of CSN, but I could not quite place the band.  So I asked. "A band called Heartsfield, from Midlothian, Illinois"  I know that band.  My brother Chris had the Foolish Pleasures album..  I may have see them.  Opening for either REO Speedwagon, or Marshall Tucker, at the Riverside in Milwaukee. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRXeOiIVMA&list=PLTIfnDR_I9rve4p55WB1MODFB3kylPgZd&index=1

After an hour snorkel and lunch break, I was back in the kayak


Not sure if this is House, or Jurassic Spring.  Both at the back of Hunter Spring Run. 15 years visiting Crystal River and I had not been to either one before.











Spring boil


















Final manatee of the day


















Spring in the pool at the Kings Bay Lodge





Landed at 2:12

No comments: