Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Friess Lake, Oconomowoc River, Little Friess Lake

Began the day with a walk in the woods.




 






This is 2 lots down from my brother Pat, and Eileen's house.
My nephew, Tyler's dog.  I took Alfred outside before my walk.  Made the mistake of saying, "If I knew where your collar and leash were, I'd take you for a walk" That got Alfred looking at me, tail wagging frantically, "Let's go"  Found the collar and leash. My brother's friend,  Babak, put it on.  As I had never walked a dog before.

On the way to Glacier Hills State Park
Took a while to find out how to get to the water.  And the rental kayak I had reserved online

This was my 2nd time kayaking on Friess Lake.  The first was in 1971. Camp Villa Jerome was on the site which is now Glacier Hills County Park. Spent a week there. Each day had a different activity.  Firing a rifle, shooting bow and arrow, a swim test of treading water for 10 minutes, crafts- I weaved a key chain fob, and kayaking.  I have a vague memory of doing an eskimo roll










Oconomowoc River


167 Bridge

I turned around just past the bridge
















Sun Dolphin Bali was a piece of crap. I landed and switched kayaks.
Much better.







Channel to Little Friess Lake




Little is a no wake lake.




The Oconomowoc River, which flows into Friess Lake, flows out from Little Friess Lake

Duck blind





Back in Little Friess










Boat ramp and bar, next to the Park. I can imagine parents hoisting a few after dropping the kids off at camp.



Landed at 2:55



The cabins can be rented. 
It would be nice if this sign, or one like it, was at the entrance.  I would have known I could have driven to the area where the rental kayaks were. But, the exercise did me good.  I saw two workers at the Park.  No one at the entry both.  I paid for the kayak rental online, and got the combinations to unlock the storage locker, and the locks on the kayaks




Went back to  Pat and Eileen's house.  Which was much quieter than it was when I left.  Visiting family and friends had gone on to other places. I got to stay some extra time because my flight back to Orlando was delayed.
And only about a third full. Have not see that, on a flight to, or from, Orlando, in years.


No comments: