Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 9, 2022

Wekiva and Little Wekiva Rivers

Depending on where you are, there has been 2 to 6 inches of rain in the greater Orlando area since last weekend.  I thought I would see how far I could paddle up the Little Wekiva River. 

Launched from a very empty Wilson's Landing Park at 7:31.



Paddled up the Wekiva River.   Like the River it flows into, the St. Johns. up is south, on the Wekiva.
I thought the streaks in the sky were interesting.
 













The zoom is good. 3 photos of a yellow crowned night heron.







Into the Little Wekiva. Someone marked the first entrance, there are two, with orange tape.

















Blocked by a mass of vegetation. 10:27

Gator




Gator









Recently cut fallen tree.






Into the Wekiva


















Big gator. The turtle at the tail is about a foot long.



















Twin Mounds



The Twin Mounds site is hard to get to. Behind an island, and the channel is blocked on the upstream side. Below.
I knew I did not have to paddle all way back to the downstream entrance,  There is another, cut through. 












I was on the water 4 and a half hours before I saw another person.


Taking an alternate channel.  Let me avoid a pair of overly  loud motorboats.  The kind with the engine with the long prop and no cover.











Landed at 2.  Wilson's Landing was packed.  Except, the Adventures in Florida trailer, and kayaks are gone. 
On the bike, Seminole Wekiva Trail 2:45



Always use the crosswalk















I walked beyond the trail end.


Wekiva River








I think I rode about 10 miles. From the Markham Trailhead to Lake Maty Blvd,  then back, and past to Highway 46, and back to the Trailhead.   Plus the visit to the River.

No comments: