Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Myakka River


I woke up to the kayak campers moon, and 2 deer across the camp road from my site



Bike ride

More deer

View from the Park Road Bridge




Off the bike.

The canopy walkway is closed.  Damaged by Hurricane Ian.




The Nature is clear
Foot bridge appears to have made it through the storm and flood unscathed.  No replacement boards.
The second boardwalk, also undamaged.
Back on the bike.  But not for long.  Felt the, bump, bump, of a low tire. So, I stopped, took off the frame pump, put it on the valve, all the air came out.  So, I pumped,and pumped. Nothing happened. I had grabbed the wrong.  Why I had one in the car that does not work, I don't know.  Won't happen again.  Tossed it out when I got back to the campground












CCC buildings and shelters.  Depression era economic stimulus.

Not a long walk.  I continued from my campsite, to the Ranger Station to get a Wilderness Permit


Made breakfast, hooked up the trailer, and left my siye
On the River at 11:16. Launched from the South Picnic Area. So I would have a shorter, up river paddle
First gator of the paddle.  First of many.

.









.




.



.






I could ID on of the 100 or so alligators I saw.  This one had the orange strap on Saturday







































Smaller gator making a splash
The big one just slid into the water




Entering Lower Myakka Lake

Much nicer than Saturday.  When  I turned around shortly after entering the Lake due to a strong north wind.

Black necked stilt


Osprey




Glossy ibis








.




Deep Hole
Short for Deep Holey Schinkees!





.



.








.
























































Button bush
.




Back in the River







I accidentally deleted a picture of a tiny baby gator.  It was well camouflaged, and perhaps the picture was not very good.  I was trying to get a better shot when I saw a big eye looking at me from just under the surface. Mama did a rolling turn under the kayak.  I saw the pale underside.  She rolled away from, not towards me. Which is good, 







Leaving the Wilderness Preserve

















Landed at 3.  I saw one boat on the River.

No comments: